Wireless Apple CarPlay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone converted their car to have wireless apple car play? I see there are carplay dongles on sale online, I'm not sure if it'll work with our cars. I have a 2017 Escalade and the phone has to be plugged into the USB port to play things on the screen like Waze etc. Audio goes over bluetooth just fine.

Talking about something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Carplay-Andr...+dongle&qid=1608507515&sr=8-1&tag=googhydr-20

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be missing something and somebody will correct me if/when I’m wrong, but one of the requirements is listed as having an Android head unit and you need to be able install an app on the HU, so pretty sure that’s not going to work.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
doesn't look like there is anything to market yet, the usb dongle will have to be able to process the wireless portion independently and send the signal thru the usb port, in essence the dongle will have to be bluetooth and wifi capable and be able to share the bluetooth signal with the headunit for phone calls, it seems possible were just not there yet.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have wireless CarPlay on my Pioneer HU. It was one of my requirements when I upgraded. You can’t add it to a HU if it didn’t come with it. I never take my phone out of my pocket anymore. You have to look kinda hard for the feature, it’s only on a few aftermarket HU’s and afaik not on any US made factory systems but it's on a few upper level European makes.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just posted the first link I saw online when I searched for wireless carplay dongle.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08767RQDB/ref=twister_B089GVTGDH?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Here's one that's listed for any car with "Wired apple car play"
per reviews/questions/answers
Do to the fact that gm usb plugs power on when the door opens, the carlinkit powers on too soon. The result is you’ll have to unplug and replug it in to get it to connect.
and another question/answer stated it was not compatible with a denali
not for android
a guy asked about it working with a 17 sierra (which would be the same as a suv) seller stated it is not 100% compatible with all systems, only 98%
another guy asked about a 2020 silverado.... same answer
sounds like the seller doesn't know or isn't saying, these have a delay which is not so noticeable when just listening to music but you will notice it on phone calls

John Barry

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a similar dongle. https://carlinkitcarplay.com/products/carlinkit-wireless-adapter-for-factory-carplay
It worked seamlessly for a couple of weeks, then it started failing to detect the phone. On second reading the owners manual I found out that for first pairing it had to be connected via Wifi in addition to Bluetooth, away from the home WiFi the phone connects automatically so I drove a couple of blocks away and did a restart from scratch 3 weeks ago. So far it has worked fine.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have wireless CarPlay on my Pioneer HU. It was one of my requirements when I upgraded. You can’t add it to a HU if it didn’t come with it. I never take my phone out of my pocket anymore. You have to look kinda hard for the feature, it’s only on a few aftermarket HU’s and afaik not on any US made factory systems but it's on a few upper level European makes.
I have it on my aftermarket pioneer headunit as well. Love the wireless integration. It’s awesome. It’s becoming more and more available on factory systems. Best friends mom just got a 2022 Laramie limited Ram 2500 with the 12 inch uConnect center screen. We were playing with the system on Thursday evening last week when she brought it up the mountain from the dealer and it has wireless CarPlay. I believe their 2021 Yukon Denali xl also has wireless CarPlay on the factory center screen.

Last edited:

irod87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought that unit for my 18. I'd say it works well. Takes about 30 seconds to connect. I haven't experienced any lag, audio quality issues or random disconnects.

Joel_S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ran a ZZ2 CarPlay wireless dongle. It was cool until I’d get close to the car and my alarm would unlock if (compustar t13) and it would power on and turn on my phone without me being in the car. I removed it. My wife uses it, but not me. She’s very happy with it. I personally don’t like CarPlay so I don’t use it otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts