Wilwood no longer requiring lock wire on Brake Kits?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crewdawg1981

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
[Accidentally posted this in the engine & drivetrain forum so reposting]

So, I ordered the 16 in front and 14.25 rear Wilwood kits for my 2016 Tahoe. While I was waiting for them to arrive, I also got everything I would need to safety wire the bolts on.

Today, I opened everything and was getting ready to start assembly of the discs and hats, looked at the bolts and relooked at the instructions for the front kit and ... the instructions dont discuss the safety wire (only Loctite 271 & torquing to 25 ft lbs). The bolts rotor bolts themselves are simple torx bolts with a pan head shape and no safety wire holes. NOTE that the rear kit DOES have lock wire bolts.

Did something change where we dont need the safety wire anymore?

According to the Wilwood site, the safety wire bolts would be kit 230-9068, but kit isnt available anymore. I received 230-12176. Any recent Wilwood installs find this too?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[Accidentally posted this in the engine & drivetrain forum so reposting]

I moved it (back) to the correct section...

Engine & Drivetrain
Discuss engine and drivetrain items from brakes, transmissions, towing, error codes, anything in the engine bay and so on here.

OP
OP
C

crewdawg1981

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think I would be calling Wilwood and ask them.

Oh, I will be. Just thought i'd see if anyone had any similar experiences here. The packages came from Wilwood not a third party, so its interesting. Especially seeing how the bolt kit (at least the one with the safety wire holes) indicated for the front kit on wilwoods website is no longer available.

OP
OP
C

crewdawg1981

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
welp. I caught up with Wilwood Tech support this morning and the kit now officially comes with pan head torx bolts and no longer requires safety wiring.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The safety wire was always meant for the race track. Since Wilwoods are often used for track vehicles they have always included the wire to satisfy race requirements, and most of us who don’t race don’t use the wire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
APalmer15