will lift kill mpgs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drewxjn

Reaction score
Looking at doing a 3 inch kit and maybe a little bigger tire. I currently have the nnbs 20s, could i run a 305 60 20 with out causing to much mpg loss with the lift. Looking at the nitto ats. Not using it to run trails or anything just looking at a little bigger tire with this setup. Thanks for your input.

Splatmaster527

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go wider and taller on tires you WILL lose MPGs
the lift wont help any...

if going to 305s expect to lose at least 2-3 mpg

WildBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from stock to 305/55/20 Trail Graps w/ keys and 2" spacers. My mileage (combined) was 13.5-14 before and a steady 13-13.2 after. On road trips 17 MPG is norm. not a big difference realy. But the tires mounted are about 100 lbs each! I'm sure a 6" lift & 35 would knock off a few mpgs.

OP
OP
D

drewxjn

Reaction score
I went from stock to 305/55/20 Trail Graps w/ keys and 2" spacers. My mileage (combined) was 13.5-14 before and a steady 13-13.2 after. On road trips 17 MPG is norm. not a big difference realy. But the tires mounted are about 100 lbs each! I'm sure a 6" lift & 35 would knock off a few mpgs.

This is exactly what I was going to do. Just wondering if there was any loss of mpgs. I'm not going to do anything like a 6inch Thats what the jeep is for. Thanks for the input.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I put 305/50/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ's (great A/T tires, BTW) on with no lift, just keys turned up. I lost about 1 mpg city, highway is nearly identical to before.

nurkvinny

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Something a lot of people don't take into consideration is that the larger diameter of a taller tire causes you to register fewer miles than you are actually driving per tank, thereby lowering your calculated mileage.

Throwing resistance and weight out of the picture, installing a taller tire can improve mileage by effectively reducing your rear gear ratio (numerically).

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Something a lot of people don't take into consideration is that the larger diameter of a taller tire causes you to register fewer miles than you are actually driving per tank, thereby lowering your calculated mileage.

Throwing resistance and weight out of the picture, installing a taller tire can improve mileage by effectively reducing your rear gear ratio (numerically).

Yup, this is true. I use a GPS trip calculator and the actual amount of gas I buy to determine mileage.

polobuds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lift won't help, but most likely tires like trail grapplers will do it. heavier tire, bigger treads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mazer16