Whine from rear. Rear end or driveshaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dougo

Reaction score
the carrier bearings are a common problem especially if tow pull the diff cover is the oil has a shimmer that is most likely the issue ,mine had bad pitting and i change my oil every 50k

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the noise goes away on decel then it is gear noise. Bearings are usually a grinding type noise. It is basically nothing to worry about if there are no other issues unless the noise just bothers you. This was very normal for NBS trucks, my mom's 05 whined from the day she got it at 60k miles and it has 200k on it now (every NBS SUV I've driven does it). My 12 does it with 185k miles on it.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the cover rust on my avalanche and lost enough fluid that they whine now even after fixed, no metallic, and all looked good, so I ran it, after the truck was retired a couple years later I pulled the axle and shoved it in the Tahoe ( was damaged from accident before I got it (was the reason I got it)). and it will whines the same to this day. unless it gets much worse I have no intention to do anything about it. and It is pretty noticeable, there is no wondering if it is whining, but it don't get worse after driving 120 miles pulling a 2,000lb trailer so I quit worrying.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Not the same vehicle but same situation. 2003 Envoy, 100,000 miles on a whining rear axle.

You can drive yourself nuts trying to figure it out. But, if it bugs you you can have a shop look at it. Probably looking at $1500.00 to rebuild it.

OP
OP
Jeffrey Howell
Reaction score
If the noise goes away on decel then it is gear noise. Bearings are usually a grinding type noise. It is basically nothing to worry about if there are no other issues unless the noise just bothers you. This was very normal for NBS trucks, my mom's 05 whined from the day she got it at 60k miles and it has 200k on it now (every NBS SUV I've driven does it). My 12 does it with 185k miles on it.

Thats good to know. It sounds just like you are describing. I'm just going to check the fluid and not worry about it. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahidblack