Which Tune ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

setconstr

Reaction score
So I have an 05 Tahoe LS. 128k miles looks good, runs good. I have installed a K&N filter charger and 3" catback with a Magnaflow muffler. It has a bunch of cosmetic stuff all murdered out with 22" wheels and complete Bell Tech suspension lowering kit, sway bars, Nittro shocks. I don't really want to do much more but I would like to make it a little faster. if it ever blows up I'll drop a 6.0 in it .
So my question is what tune ? I just drive normal I always run premium gas. I just want it simple when I read about Black Bear everyone is Happy but people say it takes awhile and whatever I do I want it fast, simple and something I don't have to mess with and still passes smog, any ideas ? Thanks !

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding Black Bear Performance, I'm not sure what you mean by 'people say it takes a while', or what your definition is for 'whatever I do I want it fast'. My experience with Black Bear Performance has been that lead times are approximately 1 week, to turn around my submitted set of data with the delivery of a set of tune files. Lead times probably vary, depending upon customer demand at that specific time, but Black Bear Performance can give you an update on current lead times for turning around a set of data with tune files, if you contact them.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So I have an 05 Tahoe LS. 128k miles looks good, runs good. I have installed a K&N filter charger and 3" catback with a Magnaflow muffler. It has a bunch of cosmetic stuff all murdered out with 22" wheels and complete Bell Tech suspension lowering kit, sway bars, Nittro shocks. I don't really want to do much more but I would like to make it a little faster. if it ever blows up I'll drop a 6.0 in it .
So my question is what tune ? I just drive normal I always run premium gas. I just want it simple when I read about Black Bear everyone is Happy but people say it takes awhile and whatever I do I want it fast, simple and something I don't have to mess with and still passes smog, any ideas ? Thanks !

The younger generation get impatient. Quality takes time and also patience. I have no idea of your age but I know as I got older my patience got way better.

OP
OP
setconstr

setconstr

Reaction score
My question was about the tune which it seems neither of you know ......I'm busy with my job so I don't have a lot of time a week is Great but a guy has a utube video it took him 6 weeks. Hopefully I can get an answer about the tune I'm very patient just busy

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The answer is in #2 post. First you would have to submit the same as Joseph said, "to turn around my submitted set of data with the delivery of a set of tune files". Before you even do that, contact Black Bear and tell them the info you shared in your post and what you want or expect from the tune. They can then tell you the rest and approx how long. Each driver wants something different so there likely is not a "cookie cutter" tune. Black Bear can tell you.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question was about the tune which it seems neither of you know ......I'm busy with my job so I don't have a lot of time a week is Great but a guy has a utube video it took him 6 weeks. Hopefully I can get an answer about the tune I'm very patient just busy

"My question was about the tune which it seems neither of you know"

I thought I had specifically answered your question about the tune in my reply to you, which I do know quite well. Anyway, it appears that you have received the information that you asked for at this point.

Good luck with your tune project.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We would be happy to help wit a tune, and answer any questions you have. When you data log with us, it can take a little longer if there are any issues that arise once the tuner sees your data. I think the Youtube video guy, he mentioned he had to clean or replace the MAF and, and then data log again, so it took a little longer than normal. Shipping is normally 2 to 3 business days. Usually once we get the files we need it take about 5 business days to get your tune emailed back to you, with our AutoCal tuning. If you went with our Scan Cable tune maybe about 3 to 4 business days for our tuner to look at your data, and then tune a PCM to ship to you.

OP
OP
setconstr

setconstr

Reaction score
Thank You ! I bought some msd coils, wiring and powder coated valve covers so I'm down for a few days then I'll get it . I think I should have worded my question about " What Tune " a bit different , I just wondered what tune people would recommend since I just mostly freeway drive and wasn't looking to hot rod it just add a bit of extra power with the mods I have now and I wanted it simple and ca. legal Thanks again !

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The three general categories that folks prefer in tunes for the ECM are better performance, better gas mileage, or better towing. I suspect that most folks prefer better performance over the other two options, but I'm sure that there are folks who prefer a hybrid version of two of the three options.

Also, the tune of the TCM can make profound differences in smoother acceleration and general driveability, as the transmission shifts through the gears. Some folks say that the TCM tune actually provided them with better benefits than the ECM tune.

Black Bear will provide you with a custom tune, specific to what you tell them regarding your preferences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop