Which Rotella is best for my 2007 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm most concerned about the cat convertor claims. Who really knows the truth...but I figure, at 18 bucks for 5 quarts, for a full synthetic from a premium brand that is dexos happy.....it makes good sense.

In addition, the T6 @ 21 dollars, is 4 quarts. The Rotella gas truck full synth is 5 quarts at 18 dollars, thereby making a cheaper change. And if I know anything about this group, its that ya'll a bunch of cheap mfs.

I fully agree. I'd say that the ZDDP affecting the cats is dependent on how much oil your engine burns. And, when it comes to LS engines and burning oil...

You'll be 100% fine with the Rotella gas truck oil. You're not being cheap at all.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fully agree. I'd say that the ZDDP affecting the cats is dependent on how much oil your engine burns. And, when it comes to LS engines and burning oil...

You'll be 100% fine with the Rotella gas truck oil. You're not being cheap at all.

The other thing in the back of my mind is that I was hoping to get some new found oil pressure with the thicker rotella. And, well, I do. for about 500 miles. With 5w30, I was seeing 17 psi at hot idle, about 25-30 at cold idle, and about 37-42 at revs. Well, the rotella did in fact give me higher oil pressure, but once it got broken in a little bit, it seems like it all came back to what it was before. So, really, I gained nothing for it - but it was a test, and I got my results.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other thing in the back of my mind is that I was hoping to get some new found oil pressure with the thicker rotella. And, well, I do. for about 500 miles. With 5w30, I was seeing 17 psi at hot idle, about 25-30 at cold idle, and about 37-42 at revs. Well, the rotella did in fact give me higher oil pressure, but once it got broken in a little bit, it seems like it all came back to what it was before. So, really, I gained nothing for it - but it was a test, and I got my results.

Using a heavier oil to increase pressure just satisfies your mind but doesn't do anything toward remedying the problem. Have you done any troubleshooting for the cause? Might have to start your own thread about it. I apologize if you have already, it's impossible to keep up with all the low oil pressure threads with these things. :rolleyes:

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using a heavier oil to increase pressure just satisfies your mind but doesn't do anything toward remedying the problem. Have you done any troubleshooting for the cause? Might have to start your own thread about it. I apologize if you have already, it's impossible to keep up with all the low oil pressure threads with these things. :rolleyes:

I have, and I started a thread on it I think, but I think ultimately the word is that things are fine. I've posted vides of my oil pressure and how it reacts and the concensus is that it is working as directed. I feel like its low, but what do I know. I also had the oil pickup tube oring replaced when the trans was rebuilt. I have no evidence that it actually was done. The mechanic didnt send pictures of it as I had requested, so I'm working on faith that it was done.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have, and I started a thread on it I think, but I think ultimately the word is that things are fine. I've posted vides of my oil pressure and how it reacts and the concensus is that it is working as directed. I feel like its low, but what do I know. I also had the oil pickup tube oring replaced when the trans was rebuilt. I have no evidence that it actually was done. The mechanic didnt send pictures of it as I had requested, so I'm working on faith that it was done.

You can easily test the O-ring yourself. If it were replaced, you'd be able to tell that the oil pan bolts were turned. You should also see a new oil pan gasket and/or some fresh-looking RTV squished out of the front cover. Also, even if it were replaced, there's a chance it wasn't done properly. It's fairly easy to roll it out of place when pushing the pickup tube back into the oil pump.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im just putting my final thoughts in here.

I love rotella. It's cheap, generally works great and I was super excited to move to the rotella gas truck product. However, they are pretty proud of that product. The REGULAR price of the 5 qt of rotella 5w30 gas truck is about 40 dollars. I think they are trying to entice the market right now, and it can be bought online at about 21 dollars for a 5 qt jug. Advance auto seems to be the most common retailer that actually carries it in stock. Now, after I made my final decisions, I did go to walmart, and lo and behold they had it on the shelf for about 20 dollars. Likely to match and compete with advance.

Now, my final decision is this. I'm going back to the supertech full synth 5w30 that is dexos approved. I have no reason not to do it this way. I am not going to try and drag out 10k or 15k mile oil changes. For the price, at about 30 dollars for 6 quarts of oil and a KN filter, 3000-5000 miles is just fine. The rotella is likely a great product! But at 40 dollars a jug, plus the extra quart, and the filter...that's easily a 60 dollar oil change. My oil pressure never really changed much with bouncing between oils. It always seems low, but I think the reality is that it's just the way it is. People have chimed in and said its fine, I've posted videos, and the consensus is that it's fine. No sense in trying to make myself feel better by messing with oil that isn't really designed for the vehicle it's being put into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman