Which is the good transmission to have 2007- 2014 PPV Tahoes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend in Kansas converted his '07 Silverado from the 4L60 to a 6L80. I don't recall the details, but it required some minor harness work and computer tuning. He hasn't swapped in the TapShift shifter with the +/- buttons, so he has no manual shifting. He also hasn't swapped in the gauge cluster that displays the gear it's in other than PRNDL. This isn't much of a problem since he doesn't have manual shifting. If I were to convert to a 6L, I'd definitely want the TapShift stalk and correct gauge cluster. I'd probably find an '09+ Tahoe that I'd replace my '08 with before getting that involved with mine.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you could use 3/4-ton running gear, the 6L90, MP3024 Transfer case and the 10.5" axles.

The 6L80 when rebuilt with performance parts can handle over 700 horsepower.

This is great to know. How much are we talking for a rebuilt transmission? This sounds like a much better option than buying a new or used transmission to replace a bad one...unless the price is a big factor?

The 6L90 I assume is in the next generation transmission and the fact that you mentioned it makes me think its a tougher tranny than ours. How hard to add that to our generation without all the extra upgrades?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is great to know. How much are we talking for a rebuilt transmission? This sounds like a much better option than buying a new or used transmission to replace a bad one...unless the price is a big factor?

The 6L90 I assume is in the next generation transmission and the fact that you mentioned it makes me think its a tougher tranny than ours. How hard to add that to our generation without all the extra upgrades?

About $3000 is the going rate but it varies across the country. The 6L90 was introduced in 2008 on the 2500 GMT900 SUVs. It's about 3/4 of an inch longer and is indeed a more robust transmission, able to handle more torque and tow more weight. I do not know which computer it uses, that would be a question for the PerformanceTrucks forum.

I like the idea of adding the 6L90 to mine but in truth it can handle all that I'll ever throw at it after it gets rebuilt. Same with the transfer case. I do plan on replacing my 8.6 rear with the 9.5 semi-floater for greater durability but leave the front differential as is.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so for the average person not planning to go big performance but just wants something better than stock, what would be the better way to go (more affordable)? Rebuilt tranny or 6L90? I'm heading over there to discuss options for adding 6l90

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk

Latest posts