Which gas for the 6.2L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenric

Reaction score
Like I said, I run premium also. At least in my vehicles where it makes any perceptible difference.

I really shouldn't have use the terms knocking or pinging at all. There are really two things going on with that sensor and ECM.

First, it will detect the barest beginnings of pre-ignition, which is a shock wave cause by the flame front from the spark ignited ignition colliding with the flame front from a pre-ignition event. At the earliest detectible indication, the flame fronts are timed so close together that the cylinder pressure is still quite low when they collide. The resulting shock wave is very, very weak. It would not be audible and probably would not hurt the engine even if you let it continue for a while. However, they do not let it continue.

Second, this pre-ignition shock wave is detected so fast, and the timing retarded so fast, that the pre-ignition is stopped right away. There should be no period of prolonged pre-ignition that would cause any engine damage.

They don't just run timing closed loop against indications of engine timing, they have spark maps that are supposed to keep them out of this kind of trouble. The knock sensor is there to protect things under certain conditions such as hot operation, high load operation etc. once the ECM figures out, and it does it quickly, that you are running an combination of fuel type, high temperature, load, etc, it backs things off. It does not maintain a state of continuous pre-ignition. I may not have made that clear in my last post.

Now, with that said, there are other things that can cause pre-ignition even in a low compression engine that should otherwise not need premium fuel. Any unusual hot spot in the combustion chamber can cause pre-ignition. A big culprit is carbon buildup which can not only trap heat and create hot spots, but can also decrease the combustion chamber volume and increase effective compression ratio. This may be why some people with engines that should not require premium will in-fact run better on premium. It's really an engine condition question.

Other things that can cause hot spots that can cause pre-ignition are....

Incorrect heat range spark plugs (insulator too short) where the plug end gets too hot.

Incorrect spark plugs where some of the threaded end sticks past the head and into the combustion chamber. This thin end of the threads will get too hot and cause pre-ignition.

Damaged valves that have carbon or some imperfection.

Incorrect or mis-positioned head gasket.

Of course the biggest one on an older engine is the carbon build up. If you have an older engine that should not have required high octane fuel, and yet it pings if you don't run it, then you probably have a bunch of carbon buildup.

Bottom line is that I would never try to talk anyone out of running premium if that's what they want to do. My main reason for interjecting myself in this conversations is to say that running regular fuel in a vehicle where premium is RECOMMENDED, not REQUIRED, will not void your warranty.

The points about the potential positive value proposition of running a slightly higher priced premium fuel and getting proportionally better fuel economy is well taken, and is a big reason why I run premium.

Last edited:

D_R_C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In reply to the OP's ?
GM's specs on HP, Torque, mileage, etc on the 6.2 is based on using premium.
Using lower grades of gas these #'s will drop.
You can take a engine that only requires reg or mid grade and run premium you will have better results,
If you run any lower of a grade of gas on ANY engine that requires premium, you will have negative results.

IMO I would run premium on the 6.2

undy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have seen as much as a 40HP decrease on a 6.2L using 87 octane.

No reports/evidence of engine damage running 87?

The wife has a phobia about having to run premium and she has a very light foot. Since this is primarily her vehicle I think I'll let her run regular. On trips/towing etc I'm the driver. In that case I'll run premium, since I'll be using "my" dollars. I'm the horse power nut so the additional gratuitous 40 or so ponies will be greatly appreciated.

My DD is my 650hp C6 Z06 (10.40 @ 137)... I'm spoiled (as I should be:rolleyes: )

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running regular for the past few months in my esky JUST to see if mileage or HP has changed. Everything is the exact same as when I ran premium. I literally feel ZERO difference. Just food for thought...

D_R_C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running regular for the past few months in my esky JUST to see if mileage or HP has changed. Everything is the exact same as when I ran premium. I literally feel ZERO difference. Just food for thought...

Feeling vs actual dyno testing is 2 completely different ways to test, not even close.
By just driving around town normal with stop and go traffic is not the best way to determine.
Drive it like you stoled it a few times with both grades, then you'll see.
If you had EFI you can do record data between the grades the EFI tuner can tell the differences in the readings, without you telling them what grade your running.
Regular will show NOT good results, the tuner might be able to make changes in the tuning for regular, but this is not recommended.
Where the differences would show up is on solo trips with large grades to deal with and especially when towing.
But if you want to run regular that's your choice.

D_R_C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'll give you that. What about the non-change in mpg's?

I look at having more power when needed and the engine running better a good trade off.
MPG's differences between grades of gas are my least concerns, having a happy good running engine is all I care about.
Besides I get better mpg with premium.
The next couple of times when checking mileage, top off the tank to get the true gallons used on the fill-ups.
You will be surprised on how far off the guesstimating is.

anton28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
87 for 120k miles. Zero issues. Great performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n