Which gas for the 6.2L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DStockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you all run Premium (91 where I'm from) or reg (87) and can you tell a difference in mpg and power?

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the 6.2 requires premium gas. Not sure why youd put regular in it. I think that can be harmful to the engine.

totheyard

Reaction score
2 dealers told me 87 was fine. I asked the same question because of what the owners manual states. I have not put 91 in it to compare.

doubletapdrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the owners manual:
Use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. You can also use regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octanne or higher, but the vehicle's acceleration could be slightly reduced, and a slight audible knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock, might be heard.
If the octane is less than 87, you might notice a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise you could damage the engine. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher, the engine needs service.

I notice a slight decrease in accel when using 87 but it could just be in my head.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 dealers told me 87 was fine. I asked the same question because of what the owners manual states. I have not put 91 in it to compare.

I'd hope they have your back when you bring it back with potential issues. My bet is that they'll deny everything.

That engine should use premium, I'd recommend it. As posted above, you could notice issues if not.

:Handshake:

totheyard

Reaction score
I'd hope they have your back when you bring it back with potential issues. My bet is that they'll deny everything.

That engine should use premium, I'd recommend it. As posted above, you could notice issues if not.

:Handshake:

I agree! But it is recommend, not "91 only". Higher end vehicles state 91+ only. I hear zero knock, but i am sure it would run better on 91. But if it blows up running 87, then we could win that fight pretty easy. They shouldn't write it in the manual as a guideline.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Be safe pay the extra couple of cents you drive an suv your already paying a good chunk of change for gas so just get premium

totheyard

Reaction score
Be safe pay the extra couple of cents you drive an suv your already paying a good chunk of change for gas so just get premium

I kinda want to, but ****! Why can't they just pick one octane for the 6.2. What does the Camero use? Why pay more when the 87 is ok?

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda want to, but ****! Why can't they just pick one octane for the 6.2. What does the Camero use? Why pay more when the 87 is ok?

Thats like saying why pay more for a Denali when a regular Yukon is ok?

LOL...

You do it because you can afford to treat your baby right! Give her the Heineken, not the Pabst Blue Ribbon!

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd put nothing but premium in it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar