Where Is the best grounding spot in the back of A Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BanginSS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
do it safe and if you want to notice a difference in bass ground straight off of the ALTERNATOR ground i have a alt ground and chassis ground lol extra safe :)

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the frame because its the best direct path to the battery. If you did the Big 3 it is even more wise to go to the frame on the same side the battery is grounded.

Best would be a pos and neg run right from the battery. Just not as cost effective.

SInce when was the battery part of the circuit path from the alternator?
Electron flow is
Alternator ground to negative on the amp,
thru the device and out the positive amp terminal
then back to the alternator's +

I see no battery there...

nor is there any "ground" in a 12V DC circuit. There is only Positive and negative.

Thehoe92: I agree re: more & more incorrect info.

However, the first paragraph of your post is symptomatic of the cancer afflicting this forum... I'm sorry but... you are 100% wrong.

The alternator/engine block/transmission is your 'ground'... Now Which is connected to the drivetrain directly in multiple places, the body/chassis assembly or the battery?

The body OR the chassis (and especially both bolted together) is the largest most current flowing damn wire you can have. Big enough to flow LIGHTNING without damage. It is so large a "wire" you can essentially ignore it or consider it as having 0 resistance (though the wires completing the circuit do have resistance)

The issue on SOME VEHICLES is there can be a piece of sheet metal that is bonded in place or uses plastic fasteners, rather than being welded or securely bolted. Or maybe it has only the equivalent of a tack-weld connecting it. Connecting an amp to those would have poor electrical continuity to the body shell.
A seat frame is a structural component, and will have one of/if not the best connection to the chassis/shell possible. Lots of surface area and Huge cross section.

The really ****** thing about doing it the way you suggest is this:

1: the current capacity & voltage drop/resistance of a wire is inverse to its length. 6" of 8 gauge has less resistance and voltage drop than 20ft of 1/0!

2: if you ever have an issue with your battery to chassis ground or battery to engine block for whatever reason (loose bolt, corrosion inside the wire or terminal are the most common), then you have provided an alternate path for the starter motor to source 'battery negative' thru your stereo equipment.

IE: thru your amp's negative to the rca ground shield to the head unit's chassis negative, to the driveline to the chassis straps.

If the amp is mounted to chassis metal with conductive hardware, you might get lucky and just have it flow thru the amp circuit board to the amp shell and thru the bolts back to the chassis.

It lets the magic smoke out of your devices VERY VERY effectively.

"But I have a circuit breaker/fuse on my battery wire!!!"- Anonymous dufus

-Since power is not flowing on the positive side of the aftermarket amp circuit, you won;t even pop your + circuit breaker/fuse when 300amps runs thru your equipment. :(

To further prove the battery isn;t in the circuit---

You don't even NEED a battery for a vehicle (and it's electrical systems) to operate if the engine is running... Batteries weren't placed in cars until 1911! Model Ts, for example, didn't get batteries standard until 1926, 9 years after electric headlights.

If all the above doesn;t convince ALL OF YOU that the battery is NOT the "ideal" place to connect your negative wire, nothing will.

Even in my BMW with a convenient rear mounted battery, I used chassis 'ground'...
In my MGB, same, even though that was only 1" from the battery negative.
DSM, same, and it was front mounted battery...

and 3 times I have seen someone attach a neg. amp lead to the battery and fry their equipment.

Last edited:

WrenchGuy

WrenchGuy
Reaction score
Sweet!

I was just too brief I guess. I find it to be a waste of time to preach. I don't feel like stepping on the toes of any forum gods either...lol

The whole audio side of things is a crapshoot here!

Eagle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to come off as abrasive as I often do, Wrench, thanks for taking it in good humour.

This forum is all over the place because we have a lot of varied opinions. Many are based on real world experience, or second hand experience which is good, but sometimes the explanation lacks the technical backing and science to support it.

A lot of mythology is simply so pervasive, so old, and so widespread via the internet and car audio forums and 'a friend' or "a shop" or car audio sales persons themselves, that it is almost impossible to tell that folks it isn't true. Most of it is "Monkey see -monkey do".

So you get myths like this "battery negative is the ultimate ground" which has been going around for 20 or 25 years now. Upgrading the charge wire, which is a valid mod for most vehicles, became "the big 3" which isn't. Adding more batteries for competition vehicles that competed with engines off, becomes 'everyone who wants to get loud needs 2 or more batteries' adding a cap to make up for an amp with insufficient onboard capacitance, becomes "stop your lights from dimming'
RCAS on one side and power on the other becomes a rule, rather than a convenience.

mostly the charge needs upgrading, and sometimes the engine to chassis on imports (like hondas)

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue on SOME VEHICLES is there can be a piece of sheet metal that is bonded in place or uses plastic fasteners, rather than being welded or securely bolted. Or maybe it has only the equivalent of a tack-weld connecting it.

I think this is the MOST important paragraph from your post.

Because of what you correctly stated, I think people started going straight to the battery because it "was the best ground". Well, it probably was the best ground compared to the tack-welded piece they were trying to use, but if they would have just extended their ground wire by 2 feet and used a proper panel, then their alternator whine or ground loop would have disappeared.

And even more so now with different materials being used, such as carbon fiber or fiberglass for weight savings, some people have no choice but to run a wire to the battery or engine block, therefore keeping the battery "myth" alive and not really understanding their specific situation.

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey eagle why do u always feel it necessary to prove hoe92 wrong?
he knows his shit

just noticed lately all you do is go in threads he posts in and try to prove him wrong

Eagle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you meant "hater count + 1" then I'm sorry to inform you that you are so unimportant as to not even rate 'hating'.

Hate thee? nay, naught but pity do i feel...

Carry on, oh noble
nutswinger.jpg

PC +1 ('Pitied' Count +1)

You can add that one to your sig too.​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mack10432

Latest posts