Wheel well paint suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaniMoose

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey! I have a 2020 Yukon Denali with the carpeted wheel wells... Now with lovely paint splattering all over them that will not come off with a pressure washer
Has anybody painted theirs? And what with, that will last? Mine are grey ATM but I'd like to change them to black to hide the dirt etc.

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the TYForum @DaniMoose !

I have a 2015 Tahoe LTZ with the same carpeted wheel wells. Trying something new this winter and will let you know in a couple weeks what I think.
Keeping them dark is a challenge, that's for sure. The carpet/felt liner does a great job of holding fine particles.

Don't waste your time with paint. That will pretty much be undetectable after about 500 miles, IMO.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go to the men's section at Walgreens and get some black hair dye.....

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hair dye isn't actually that bad of an idea. Except that it's proven to wash out over time.

For this winter's attempt on the wheel well liners, I tried a new approach. Instead of covering the felt material, I tried to transform and protect.
I applied a solid 2x coats of black fabric paint (spray can for outdoor furniture fabrics) and then "sealed" that with a weather protectant spray. I had some extra MudSlinger sitting around, so used that. The protectant spray went on in the fall and I applied another coat after a big wash back in January. We are starting the meltdown period here in Maine with days of mixed snow/rain; hence, holding off on the next big exterior cleaning for a couple weeks at least.

From my experience, removing the wheel wells may seem like a pain, but in order to work with them easily, I suggest doing so. Plus, removing the wells gives you easy access to several other suspension components, if you want to poke around, clean up, etc...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe