Wheel/Tires 18 or 20?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going from 17's on our 08 which were marshmellow to the 18 we are getting that has 22's. I am pretty sure I don't want 22's for an every day wheel especially when it will come to winter driving. so I am thinking I want to spit the difference. I found some great options on FB market of some take offs with no miles on them.

Option 1:
Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner 275/60/20 on Silverado wheels

Option 2:
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac size LT275/65R18 on AT4 wheels.

Both sets are about the same price, $1200 but neither have TPMS sensors.

We ran Hankook Widerness (IIRC) on the old Yukon and got 50K out of them.

Wet performance is not a priority, we are in the desert but highway and snow are the essential. Which one of these two will be better there?

Ideally, I will stay with jsut one set and sell off the 22's.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my stock GMT800 17 inch wheels on my 2006 xl Denali and was always convinced I’d never go bigger wheels. I stepped up to 20s cuz I loved the wheels I found. It rode ok on the stock 275/55 OEM size for 20s. But I scored a deal on a set of 275/60 series tires that I couldn’t pass up and that was by far my favorite size to run. Great ride quality and I live in the snow for 4 or 5 months out of the year depending on the winter. I never had any problems in the snow with that size. I feel that size gave me good clearance in the snow and performed well, plus it made the handling really good going up and down the windy mountains roads I have to take often to get up or down the mountain.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been very happy with the 18” wheel set up. Very similar to the standard wheel on my old 2008 Suburban.

OP
OP
Philpug

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my stock GMT800 17 inch wheels on my 2006 xl Denali and was always convinced I’d never go bigger wheels. I stepped up to 20s cuz I loved the wheels I found. It rode ok on the stock 275/55 OEM size for 20s. But I scored a deal on a set of 275/60 series tires that I couldn’t pass up and that was by far my favorite size to run. Great ride quality and I live in the snow for 4 or 5 months out of the year depending on the winter. I never had any problems in the snow with that size. I feel that size gave me good clearance in the snow and performed well, plus it made the handling really good going up and down the windy mountains roads I have to take often to get up or down the mountain.
You know the snow we are dealing with in Tahoe....Donner party...Donner party of 6? I am still not sure. I am on my way to North Carolina to pick up the Yukon and will be driving it back to Reno. I will have a better idea once I get to Colorado if I want to pick up either of these other ones.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know the snow we are dealing with in Tahoe....Donner party...Donner party of 6? I am still not sure. I am on my way to North Carolina to pick up the Yukon and will be driving it back to Reno. I will have a better idea once I get to Colorado if I want to pick up either of these other ones.
Yup I know Donnor pass well. Between driving that to get up to Tahoe and on the other side going to mammoth, I’ve been in some pretty crazy snow. I live in big bear down south. While we don’t get that intense of snow storms ALL winter long, we have a handful every year or so that are pretty intense. Thanksgiving of 2019 we had three and a half feet in from Wednesday morning to Friday evening after thanksgiving. I was rolling on my 275/60 series nitto dura grapplers, and they were almost out of tread at that point and I still didn’t have any issues in that storm. I still say get the 20s lol. Also I thought you said you were having the Yukon trucked to you instead of going to North Carolina to pick it up?!

OP
OP
Philpug

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I thought you said you were having the Yukon trucked to you instead of going to North Carolina to pick it up?!
That was the plan...the gas mess in the Southeast threw a monkey wrench in that. Everything got pushed back at least a week. So...road trip. I will hit A-Basin on the way back so it will not all be for naught.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was the plan...the gas mess in the Southeast threw a monkey wrench in that. Everything got pushed back at least a week. So...road trip. I will hit A-Basin on the way back so it will not all be for naught.
Ah I see. Well have fun and enjoy the new rig on the way home! And get some turns in on that a basin snow! Haha.

OP
OP
Philpug

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah I see. Well have fun and enjoy the new rig on the way home! And get some turns in on that a basin snow! Haha.
A-Basin is in mid winter condtions, we were just at Mammoth and they are losing snow real fast.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A-Basin is in mid winter condtions, we were just at Mammoth and they are losing snow real fast.
It’s crazy how quick it goes. I was there two weeks ago for an AASI exam and there was still a ton of snow. Definite spring conditions by about 1:30pm the last two days of the trip but still good amounts of snow. And then I saw on one of my buddies Instagram a couple days ago how much the base area has already lost. Crazy how different regions are in different conditions. It’s funny. I’m in full summer mode already... Bear mountain which is my home mountain closed the first week of April. And then my last exam trip was it. No mas snowboarding til November. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17