Wheel fitment vs brake caliper? (and 35's with no lift!!!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgraves

Reaction score
Is anyone running KMC Mesa, Technic or Motegi Trailite wheels in 17” +18mm offset without spacers? I’ve narrowed down my winter setup to one of these wheels and am trying to confirm brake caliper clearance before ordering.

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jgraves

Reaction score
Isn't the minimum wheel size 18 inches?

No, lots of people running 17's on these trucks, even the factory spare is a 17. It's just known that some 17" wheels clear the front calipers and others don't (or don't without spacers), particularly factory 17's from the earlier generation trucks.

FWIW, Tire Rack shows all 3 wheels fitting the 2023 Yukon. I'm leaning toward the Technic (17x8.5 +18ET), unless someone posts they've had fitment issues.

1698105039420.png

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea the could possibly fit, and possibly not fit. If you order through a tire chain place then im sure they can just get them in and check fitment before mounting tires on them.

The latest gen suv’s changed a bit in with the offset of the oem wheels. The pre ‘21 oem 22” wheels wont even fit on them.

OP
OP
J

jgraves

Reaction score
The KMC website also indicates they fit. I'll update the thread in a couple weeks when I get them.

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if my factory wheels will fit over my 8 pot brakes, even with a 1/4 inch spacer... I'll have to swap them out eventually, though.

OP
OP
J

jgraves

Reaction score
So I picked up my KMC Technic (17x8.5 +18ET) Friday evening and prioritized at least test fitting them today, anticipating it would only be a test fit because even if the wheels fit, the tires wouldn't. Right?

The wheels are really tight to the front calipers, both to the barrels and the spokes, but they spin freely with no scraping noises. The tire sidewall also clears the UCA / ball joint, by maybe 1/2".

What really surprised me was the tires only rub the rear of the fender liner at more than 1 turn of the wheel. I've only checked on level ground but is was at entry / exit ride height. I'll have to pull back the fender liners but I'll drive it this week as it. I'll just have to be careful in parking lots and can't do U-turns in my driveway.

OP
OP
J

jgraves

Reaction score
315/70R17 Hakkapeliitta LT3, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! Okay, I'm a little bit excited these fit and will require far less work than I anticipated to prevent rubbing. And while I know it's not everyone's style, the appearance is exactly what I hoped for (minus the rusty chrome lug nuts off my 2010, I have my tire guy sourcing black McGard's for me, and my test drive included a trip through the touchless cash wash).

IMG_4528.jpeg

IMG_4527.jpeg

IMG_4529.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seeker

Latest posts