What's up with my heat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I checked everything finally....
engine gets to temp as it should.
Blower works as it should.
the hoses going through firewall - on is very hot the other is even more than very hot.

All of that says the water pump and thermostat are fine, correct? With that in mind do I still need to try and restrict the little hose from radiator to reservoir? Im thinking no but I defer to you guys.

As for the blend door actuator...just want to be clear the issue is the same temperature or lack of warm temperature from everywhere....its not an issue of cold on one side hot on the other nor an issue of switching back and forth between hot and cold the issue is just barely lukewarm air from all vents....

Could still be blend door actuator?
If so, I think theres more than one or no, and if there is how do I know which one to replace?
I dont have the funds currently to be trial and error with parts but the cold weather is here and I need heat lol

Thanks

EDIT - just watched a video...there's one actuator and its under glovebox?
Is that my next move to replace or is there any more tests I can do?
If memory serves, there are 3 actuators for the front . 2 for temp (passenger/driver), and one for vent position. the one under the glove box is for driver temp, there might be another one under there, but it has been a while.

OP
OP
yukon06

yukon06

Reaction score
so i do not really have heat...its lukewarm at best and in this weather useless.....i started another thread i should have posted here though....
how do i know which correct actuator to order....
part numbers anyone? I see several

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i do not really have heat...its lukewarm at best and in this weather useless.....i started another thread i should have posted here though....
how do i know which correct actuator to order....
part numbers anyone? I see several
You will need to compare your RPO codes in the glove box to the actuator you need. There are at least 2 different climate controls in this generation and actuators for each (I assume).

OP
OP
yukon06

yukon06

Reaction score
ive googled how to choose the correct one and im not getting much info....heres my rpo codes how do you tell which model number i need to order

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 3

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You have code CJ2 which has the Auto Temp Controller (head). Look for that code when you're looking at parts.

Question, though, do you have rear heat; looks like you do with C36? If so, does the air get hot, unlike the front?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was noodling on this and you mentioned that the hoses going into and out of the cabin were HOT and HOTTER. I'm wondering if you have a gunked up heater core. It was a notorious problem on some early dexcool systems........s-10 blazer and Jimmy come to mind. I remember at the dealership guys running a flush through them to clean out the shlt.

If you have a temp gun, see what your delta is with the blower on low, then on high. If you don't see much of a change, it's possible something was messed up already when the previous owner did all that work. Or something went downstream and is restricting the flow. Just a thought.

OP
OP
yukon06

yukon06

Reaction score
Ok so for the hoses in a different thread i started accidentally someone asked if one hose was hot and the other one a little less hot and that’s exactly how mine are I think thats how they’re supposed to be?

I bought truck a couple months ago without the rear working because the lines rotted out and they were capped off which i think is common but now i think is that just a/c or heat too?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both run back there. You'll know if you look under the hood. You can delete the rear due to rot by installing pickup truck A/C components. The rear delete is easy as well for the heat.

Yes, there should be a temp diffential between supply and return. If one is noticeably cooler, then it's working correctly.

OP
OP
yukon06

yukon06

Reaction score
so to update this thread also....

First, whoever designed the way the actuator mounts and also the plastic covering should be shot, then shot again.....these 'engineers' should be made to work on a vehicle and see how much fun it is to get those 2 bolts out....

I do have heat now....this is what I used and if it gets me through the winter im ok with that

Follow up question......im not used to a vehicle taking so long to warm up before I start getting heat, it needs to be at full operating temp before it gets warm, it also seems like it works better if im giving it gas rather than idling at a light or somewhere....is all that normal for a 2006?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz