What's up with my heat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukon06

Reaction score
Takes long to warm up and even then isnt that hot...maybe lukewarm....2006 yukon

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The first thing that comes to mind is a failing thermostat. What does the temp gauge show after complete engine warm up? Grab the heater hoses at the firewall and check to see if they are approximately the same temp feeling. How about the hoses off the tees?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When did this start -- what work, if any, was done just prior to the issue? New radiator? Other parts?

OP
OP
yukon06

yukon06

Reaction score
Just got the truck a few weeks ago so not sure when it started....no work done by me yet except replace some led lights....looking at list of things replaced
march 2021 - new radiator, thermostat, crossover tube

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Back to basics then. Did you check the coolant level and for leaks? Does it say what brand parts were used in March?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If an aftermarket radiator it may be missing the restriction in the return line that goes to the surge tank. The link below has a few suggestions.

I'd probably verify the thermostat temp, too, to be sure it's the correct one. But you can do a quick test about the restriction by clamping down the return line to the surge tank *somewhat* with a clamp of some sort and monitoring the engine temp while you do it. If that works, all you need is a more permanent solution. You'd want to be careful that it's not too permanent in case you ever go back to an OE radiator, or a radiator that has the integrated restriction.

OP
OP
yukon06

yukon06

Reaction score
so a little info im looking now....coolant temp sensor ts10076 35k miles ago.
radiotar 3653 crs 21k miles ago
thermostat and seal 131-156 and 131-169, crossover tube 626-543 installed 20k miles ago

i will check the other things in the am
thanks

Bill Barnes

Reaction score
Had the same problem with my 2005 Yukon XL. Turned out to be the drivers side Blend door activator. Fairly easy fix, but make sure you get the correct part, which is based on your VIN. There were changes based on your date of manufacture. You Tube has detailed videos on haw to replace the activator; it HAS to be indexed correctly.

OP
OP
yukon06

yukon06

Reaction score
So I checked everything finally....
engine gets to temp as it should.
Blower works as it should.
the hoses going through firewall - on is very hot the other is even more than very hot.

All of that says the water pump and thermostat are fine, correct? With that in mind do I still need to try and restrict the little hose from radiator to reservoir? Im thinking no but I defer to you guys.

As for the blend door actuator...just want to be clear the issue is the same temperature or lack of warm temperature from everywhere....its not an issue of cold on one side hot on the other nor an issue of switching back and forth between hot and cold the issue is just barely lukewarm air from all vents....

Could still be blend door actuator?
If so, I think theres more than one or no, and if there is how do I know which one to replace?
I dont have the funds currently to be trial and error with parts but the cold weather is here and I need heat lol

Thanks

EDIT - just watched a video...there's one actuator and its under glovebox?
Is that my next move to replace or is there any more tests I can do?

Last edited:
OP
OP
yukon06

yukon06

Reaction score
Update
I have heat.
Yesterday i did the recalibration twice and teated and still no heat.
Today i got in and driving and realized hey its getting warm in here lol
Heat seems lile its working….