WHATS NEXT!? Replaced Stepper motor & Fuel Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03Dnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago my gas gauge started acting up. This was shortly after my fuel pump went out. I took it back thinking it was something to do with the new pump. They put another one in under warranty, but my gas gauge still is stuck on "E". Today I put a new Stepper motor in thinking that had to be it, but of course it's still stuck on "E". So what's next? Something messed up between the sending unit and the gauge? I was on a gravel road and it was really messing up, going all over the place before it finally just got stuck on "E" for good later that day. Any ideas would be great!

mikewayne

Reaction score
Its looks like fuel sending unit problem, it can be repaired but its an easy to replace or it could be wiring problem in between gauge and sending unit.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad wiring connection or maybe a wire is chaffed somewhere it to ground out!

OP
OP
03Dnasty

03Dnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just taking it back to the shop today because I came across another thread about Airtex fuel pumps being crap and I've had two put in now and still have the same prob.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could very well be the problem, but they should be able to hook the electrical to the fuel pump and be able to move the arm on the sending unit to confirm that it's indeed working and moving the needle in the gauge!! If it's not too late, get an OEM pump instead of that aftermarket one!!

sparks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for oem pump. ive never had an aftermarket pump that was worth a crap. went through 3 in a month on my old s-10, finally sucked it up and did a gm one and not another problem. had one in my escalade for about 2 mos and it went, same story got a gm one and no issues.

that being said, it sounds like you have an electrical issue somewhere between the pump/sender, and the guage. check the harnesses for damage, pay close attention to connectors, thats typically where failures happen.

Misago208

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the follow-up and report. I was going to suggest connectors also.

I have a friend who lost all their exterior lights on a 2003 Sierra -- up in the mountains at night. =:-O That was a connector at the rear bumper -- just from body and frame flexing. Unplugged and plugged back in and all working again.

I'm putting together references to go looking for a Tahoe or Yukon to add to he "fleet". You can't get this kind of information anywhere else.

Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barakawins