What's needed to fit a 4l65 tranny to my 99 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

btewalt10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I need some help! My tranny is going bad and I'm wanting to put a 4l65 tranny from a newer one in it, what all do I need to do. I've researched a little bit but I cannot find a definitive answer, I've heard all I need is a flex plate spacer to it'll bolt right up plug and play. I'm hoping you guys can help thanks!

OP
OP
B

btewalt10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I would have to use my stock converter cause I believe that it is going bad as well

OP
OP
B

btewalt10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's the torque converter because it's slipping a little bit going 55+ and it just started after I replaced the radiator, I know it's crazy.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if the tranny is slipping you would be popping a p1870 code. if the tcc slip speed 130-800rpm for 7 seconds and the solenoids that control it are active and operating at 95% of their duty cycle then that gets you a code. if you don't feel that is what is going on then the valving be goofed. head to a shop with a scanner that can force lockup i 4 gear and monitor tcc slippage. slippage should be from -20 to +50 rpm. also note some code will not turn on your cel.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

and since you did radiator does it's tranny cooler flow very well. low fluid level does this too as air gets in the system.

OP
OP
B

btewalt10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My fluid levels are in the norm, I did a fluid and filter change a week ago to see if it would help but it did not, I just reset the computer this past weekend and it seemed to help, I can no longer see the rpms jump or hear much abnormal rpm shifts from the engine so I'm hoping that helped it. I also took my programmer out and returned it to stock when I did the reset, just put my programmer back in and it still runs good. Not too sure if I should still be on the lookout for a tranny or not lol

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if the power disconnection made a change with the stock tune in before and after the power cycling then I think you are having an issue that does not always pop a code. there are code that do not set off the light. try and get a scan for current and history codes when the problem comes back at its worst. might just find your glitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alison92