What Should I do? (2004 Suburban with 200K miles)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeBoom

Reaction score
Big Red, our 2004 Suburban, has been in the family for about 6-7 years. Overall, he’s been quite reliable and has done an excellent job of serving as our Big Ass SUV. I’m expecting to take delivery of our new Yukon Denali 6.2 in just a few days (it’s in transit).

I was planning to sell Big Red since our garage (actually pole barn) storage space is limited and the Yukon will serve the role of Big Ass SUV. But I am now wavering—Big Red has been reliable, still runs well, and has up to date brakes, tires, and suspension components. I’ve generally adopted the approach that if something needs doing it’s worth paying for it, with the notable exception of replacing the rear a/c lines; we simply plugged them and use the front vents for cooling.

What do you think? I’m considering one of three scenarios: sell it; keep it as is; or put $10,000 or so into making it cosmetically great, fixing the a/c and attending to a couple of minor issues like the inoperative rear wiper. I‘m a little torn.
7EB06AD5-6793-4555-965E-26D1D5758D52.jpeg

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I say keep it those models are reliable and bulletproof if taken care of easily see 300-400,000 miles on the original power train if again it’s taken care of I’ve heard a lot of bad stuff on here about the newer suvs I am glad I’ve been lucky with my 07 but if I had it over again I would’ve probably went back with a 05 model Tahoe

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were going to sell it, how much would you ask? Asking for a friend...

That said, you are in a forum of people who love these vehicles; do you think they are going to suggest selling it? Also, assuming your Yukon is new, keep Big Red around for a year or two until all the warranty work gets completed on your new vehicle. I wish I were joking.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have available property, get yourself a top quality (22 gauge PVC material) Shelter Logic 10' x 20' portable storage enclosure (~$2000) and put Big Red in it. You will not regret it. That's where I keep my 07.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
People have told me they wished they never sold their "old" Tahoe or Yukon, after spending the bucket of cash on a new version ( They are problematic) ........ I get a lot of " Hey, do you want to sell your '05 Yukon XL ?" As I am at an intersection, stopped... and the person is driving a new GM truck.....

I LOVE my '05..... it is spooky reliable......

Attachments

• KIMG2306.JPG
    KIMG2306.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 8

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mountie

I like your yukon. I had a 2003, same color and wheels. It was a nice machine, and very reliable. The guy I sold it to 8 years ago was still beating it down the road with over 250K this past fall. It's very rough now on rust, etc. He said he just stopped changing the oil and only adds when needed (SMH) and it still keeps kicking. Definitely a good breed.....it doesn't owe him a dime. To be fair though, it did receive good maintenance until it was handed down to him after his wife updated to 2013 Denali a couple years ago.

@MikeBoom

I am a firm believer of keeping things running well and using them as long as needed. But, if I gather correctly, you live in a salt area based on the rear lines corrosion. If that's the case, I wouldn't dump any more money in it and try to preserve it........the rust will be all consuming and just bug you continuously as it slowly degrades the truck.

I'd keep it as a piece of mind if you want for a little while and then pass it on down the line. If you find you miss it, then look for a cherry one from a salt free area and have something worth investing in.

I usually move on from vehicles once rust starts to get the upper hand. Years of midwest mechanic speaking here........using a fire wrench as a normal mode of repairs isn't fun. Plus the look of corrosion chaps my a$$.

OP
OP
MikeBoom

MikeBoom

Reaction score
Seems like the vote is swinging “keep it” pretty strongly. That’s sort of the way I’m leaning. It’s nice to have a reliable vehicle we don’t mind beating on a bit, and there have been occasions where it’s come in handy as a spare. B-Train, some good thoughts on corrosion. That may be the deciding factor. Overall there’s minimal visible corrosion, but it may be taking a closer look underneath.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were going to sell it, how much would you ask? Asking for a friend...

That said, you are in a forum of people who love these vehicles; do you think they are going to suggest selling it? Also, assuming your Yukon is new, keep Big Red around for a year or two until all the warranty work gets completed on your new vehicle. I wish I were joking.
I feel the same. Might want to have a reliable back up for the possibly unreliable brand new suv.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14