What Rear Diff Do I Have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bxcliff

Reaction score
So I'm planning on doing a well-needed diff fluid change with a new cover in my 2003 GMC Yukon Denali and I wanted to know what specific rear differential do I have. I know its a 10 bolt but I've seen different variations of 10 bolts from older to newer cars regarding the size of something in inches (Diff itself or axle I'm not sure). I may be wrong but if parts like ARP diff cover bolts say they fit "select 10 bolt GM differentials" would it be safe to assume it would fit my truck?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm planning on doing a well-needed diff fluid change with a new cover in my 2003 GMC Yukon Denali and I wanted to know what specific rear differential do I have. I know its a 10 bolt but I've seen different variations of 10 bolts from older to newer cars regarding the size of something in inches (Diff itself or axle I'm not sure). I may be wrong but if parts like ARP diff cover bolts say they fit "select 10 bolt GM differentials" would it be safe to assume it would fit my truck?
Post a picture of the RPO sticker that is inside your glove box. It looks like this.
GMRPOcode.jpg

If you can get a picture of the rear cover of the differential, that would help as well.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It's an AAM 8.6" 10-Bolt. Same cover used on old Buick GNs with their 8.5" ring gear and many other since the 1980s.

OP
OP
Bxcliff

Bxcliff

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys; At first I looked at the diff itself to see if I could find anything but the rust and it just being old I couldn't ID anything. Here's a pic of that RPO sticker you told me about.
20200901_121149.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, GT4 is 3.73 and I have the same and love that gear but what is the code for limited slip so he can get the right fluid?

Never mind, G80 is the limited slip and he does not show that. It's an open differential.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, GT4 is 3.73 and I have the same and love that gear but what is the code for limited slip so he can get the right fluid?

Never mind, G80 is the limited slip and he does not show that. It's an open differential.
Actually, G80 is a locking differential. There is a threshold that has to be reached, but once it is reached, it is locked. G86 is the limited slip differential. How am I so sure? My '05 Suburban and my '04 Silverado both have the G86; the '03 Sierra I have used to have a G80 (rear) AND a G86 (front). But i replaced the front differential and did not catch that it also had a G86 in it. :(

OP
OP
Bxcliff

Bxcliff

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys, I never knew about the RPO codes until now. I was looking at the list of all the codes on that website and it's pretty cool. It now makes sense to me why the 6.0 in my truck is called LQ4 :Big Laugh:

So if anyone were to ask me what differential/rear-end I have, it would be RPO code: GT4 (3.73 gearing), and its also a GM 10 bolt 8.5'' diff.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys, I never knew about the RPO codes until now. I was looking at the list of all the codes on that website and it's pretty cool. It now makes sense to me why the 6.0 in my truck is called LQ4 :Big Laugh:

So if anyone were to ask me what differential/rear-end I have, it would be RPO code: GT4 (3.73 gearing), and its also a GM 10 bolt 8.5'' diff.

Technically, its 8.6, but you will see the cover listed as "GM corporate 10 bolt, 8.5-6"

Also, can't recommend the Lubelocker gasket highly enough.

Edit: part # LLR-G850

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo