What oil to use in "oil thirsty" 07 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bobielon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, ready to do my first oil change on my 07 XL. 150k miles. I added 1.75 quarts over the last 4500 miles to keep the oil level full. In the past i have always used mobil one full synthetic, but in these oil thirsty 07's would synthetic be a bad idea? Would it use less oil if i used non syn?

So with the amount of miles and the slight oil consumption, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks

strokinpower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed mine for the first time since I got it and used Mobil super not synthetic for high mileage it says helps reduce oil consumption on the bottle but I'm sure it wont.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend pensoil platinum synthetic and a quart of Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer.

OP
OP
B

Bobielon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have any oil on the driveway?

Nope, no visible leaks. Also no smoke or burning oil smell. This seems common for this year. Lots of complaints about oil consumption for the 07. My 03 Yukon with 165k on it didn't use a drop of oil. GM must have dicked something up with the 5.3's that year.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

I recommend pensoil platinum synthetic and a quart of Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer.

I have heard of that lucas oil additive before. In your experience has that helped with the oil comsumption?

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should and will definitely keep you oil pressure up so oil will constantly circulate well. We use it here in our chase trucks which are locally driven 6.0 trucks that go from idle to 100 a dozen times a day. Real heavy beating. It's also very reasonable from a cost aspect. If you have a walmart near buy you can get it cheap.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have to use the blAck label for synthetic.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not recommend using Lucas oil stabilizer. Lucas foams really bad. Good engine oil doesn't need and additives. http://web.archive.org/web/20100926133335/http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Agreed. Just my .02...but unless I'm flushing the crankcase, the only thing I put in there is motor oil. Anything else is bad juju in my mind due to the sheer amount of testing and chemistry involved in developing motor oil. Adding stuff to the mix can have unexpected results. I'm using M1 5w30 synthetic right now (115k on the clock), but if I start having oil consumption issues I'll play with different oil weights and find something that works rather than using additives.

I love lucas fuel system treatment...but they can keep the oil additives.