what muffler or mufflers to use????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lt1z350

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2007 z71 with lots of mods and have american racing long tubes with a off road y pipe on it and had the american thunder flowmaster cat back and sounded good with cats and stock stuff on it but with the long tubes and no cats it was terrible. It was loud and raspy not at all throaty any more so I changed out the muffler to a borla same thing single in and dual out and it is much better but still under wot sounds like crap just not loud crap like the flowmaster did. So I got american racing to build me a dual 3 inch y pipe but leave it open ended so I can run dual pipes off of it. So now am thinking either dual dynomax welded ultra flows with an x pipe before them or a magnaflow tru x dual in dual out muffler with the x pipe built into the muffler. Any one use one of these and like it? I dont mind loud under wot but dont want that drone like flowmasters do at cruising. I have had good luck with borla proxs on my camaro but that is a big 383 with single t-76 turbo and is stealth quiet until waste gate opens. Just want the truck to have more of that muscle car sound and one reason am going duals and other is it is getting a kenny bell or magnacharger here soon so will need all this exhaust to breath. The magnaflow tru x sounds like a good idea just dont want the same sound I am getting with the borla single in and dual out. So if you have long tubes and duals what did u do? or if you have used a dynomax or magnaflow x type muffler how do you like it? Also now have tons of exhaust stuff like american racing ory pipe and two single in dual out mufflers I need to get rid of now. I love trial and error......:emotions122:

OP
OP
L

lt1z350

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
damn no one even has an opinion or some smart ass remark to make. lol...... Didnt think the topic was that boring. Guess everyone has stock or catbacks.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's because how your original post is written. It's hard to follow and keep track of what you're truly asking.

OP
OP
L

lt1z350

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wanted to know if either someone had used one of the xpipe style mufflers and liked it or you have headers and duals no cats what mufflers were you using and are you happy or wish had went another way with it. Looking for more of a muscle car sound from the truck I have done tons of cars camaros mustangs but not familiar with suv exhaust setups and what sounds good. I hate how it sounds now with a single 3 inch splitting to dual 2.5 off the muffler. It was good with cats but now with long tubes and no cats it is way too raspy. Sounds like when idiots cut the muffler off and run pipes right off the cats and I am running a borla pro xs with resonator tips which did help it but still not that typical car sound. Lots of pipe on a suv or truck and guessing it changes the tone of it somehow. SO again anyone using a x pipe style muffler and like it or what mufflers are you using with duals or even heard a friends truck and liked what they used. Just tired of trial and error and dumping money into stuff that I dont want to keep on it.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez had a headache just trying to read that... In any case, the following are my comments:

- What is the piping diameter of the headers?
- 3-inch diameter piping is too large for the 5.3L. That is causing turbulent flow, reducing exhaust velocity/scavaging, and reducing power.
- Use the Magnaflow X-pipe to even out the exhaust pulses (for true dual application).
- Run cats or resonators.
- Consider Corsa Sport mufflers.
- Remove the throttle body spacer.
- Retune. How did you tune the current setup and what results did you get?

Just my 2 cents.

ESCALADE200224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to be noticed and heard make it true duals with two thrush mufflers. On my 02 lade you could hear me for miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
07blackhoe