What makes GMs SUVs worth the $$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I was at the lovely(ha) chevy dealership today getting them to OK a re fix on a repair job they did, I couldnt help but to notice all the new 2011/12 models on the lot. My curiosity got the best of me so I meandered on over to the lot while I was waiting for the rep to get back to me. I approached a nice looking white chevy avalanche ls, no nav, cloth and the typical plain jane chevy interior. To my surprise the sticker said something like 46 or 48k. As a began to scratch my head and squint my eyes to make sure I was reading it correctly, I stepped back and looked to see if I bypassed some 26" 3 piece Forgiato wheels it was wearing...To my disappointment, there were no Forgiato's, but it did have the 20" silver LTZ wheels..

So my question is, what makes these cars worth the money? If anyone has driven in any other nice luxury car brands (Lexus, Acura,BMW, freakin volvo for crying out louf) you will notice that the interiors and craftsmanship puts Chevy/GM to shame. For instance my wifes 2010 Tl awd, has technology in it that I could only dream of in my Tahoe. Not only that, but when im riding in it, it feels luxurious. And to top it off, Acura's are super cheap to maintain and incredibly reliable. My dads old acura legend had 230,000 mi on it before it got stolen. I almost feel like im riding in a rental car inside my Tahoe. Everything is so cheap and plastic'y, I cant imagine having paid full price for it. I do understand that Caddilac is the more luxurious brand under the GM line, but come on, if your dropping 50k on a vehicle it should at least have a hint of leather on the door panels...

So am I missing something? Am I the only one who feels this way? Dont take this the wrong way, I like the car and it really hasnt given me many problems yet, but I was shocked to see a ls base/cloth model going for dang near 50k. For 50k Id expect a little more car than big pieces cloth and plastic enclosed by sheet metal.. Prob recycled cheap sheet metal at that..

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what your dealer was stickering ... but a base 2012 Avy LS 4x4 is around $40k and $36k with current discounts/promotions.

picture.php

Still a lot of money but no where near what you're seeing. :think:

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
While I was at the lovely(ha) chevy dealership today getting them to OK a re fix on a repair job they did, I couldnt help but to notice all the new 2011/12 models on the lot. My curiosity got the best of me so I meandered on over to the lot while I was waiting for the rep to get back to me. I approached a nice looking white chevy avalanche ls, no nav, cloth and the typical plain jane chevy interior. To my surprise the sticker said something like 46 or 48k. As a began to scratch my head and squint my eyes to make sure I was reading it correctly, I stepped back and looked to see if I bypassed some 26" 3 piece Forgiato wheels it was wearing...To my disappointment, there were no Forgiato's, but it did have the 20" silver LTZ wheels..

So my question is, what makes these cars worth the money? If anyone has driven in any other nice luxury car brands (Lexus, Acura,BMW, freakin volvo for crying out louf) you will notice that the interiors and craftsmanship puts Chevy/GM to shame. For instance my wifes 2010 Tl awd, has technology in it that I could only dream of in my Tahoe. Not only that, but when im riding in it, it feels luxurious. And to top it off, Acura's are super cheap to maintain and incredibly reliable. My dads old acura legend had 230,000 mi on it before it got stolen. I almost feel like im riding in a rental car inside my Tahoe. Everything is so cheap and plastic'y, I cant imagine having paid full price for it. I do understand that Caddilac is the more luxurious brand under the GM line, but come on, if your dropping 50k on a vehicle it should at least have a hint of leather on the door panels...

So am I missing something? Am I the only one who feels this way? Dont take this the wrong way, I like the car and it really hasnt given me many problems yet, but I was shocked to see a ls base/cloth model going for dang near 50k. For 50k Id expect a little more car than big pieces cloth and plastic enclosed by sheet metal.. Prob recycled cheap sheet metal at that..

It's simple.. The cheaper Japanese and chinese cars are made the cheaper other companies will make their cars.. Look at Honda there models are similar to the prices of their cars in 2001.. Quality was MUCH better than but still selling for the sane price.. If car makers think they can get away with it there going to do it..

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

78mc-bbc

Reaction score
another reason GM cars or any of the big 3 companies cost more is the Auto workers union. Most of the other japanese, korean and german companies in the US dont have union workers. think of it this way, say GM pays the average person $35/hour they have to pay the union probably close to $80-100/hour to include all of the benefits the union has to have. the non union plants would still pay the same worker $35/hour and have no where as much of money to pay in benefits, so in all they can sell for a lower price since they hourly wage and overhead would be less.

Build quality in Union vs. Non-Union car makers has always been a heated topic, almost every car that has a really good build quality rating is built by a non-union shop. Remember all of those cars GM built in the 70's when the UAW went out on strike??

Look at the cars in Australia under Holden's name, their cars have a lot more technology in them, have better build quality, nearly all have high hp/tq outputs and are cheaper than anything comparable that GM state side makes. Holden does not have a union to worry about they have workers that are paid well and care about the vehicle they produce, which is why they can sell them at a lower price

Last edited:

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Am I the only one that reads the quarterly financial reports put out by Ford and Chevy. It seems like every quarter a statement is made about the lack of value the dollar has and the cost of metal. Because metal, like oil, is priced on the international market, a weaker dollar increases cost whereas a stronger dollar reduces cost.

Additionally, to compare a Chevy, an entry level brand, to luxury and entry luxury segment cars is not a fair comparison. Your contrast should be apples-to-apples, not apples-to-oranges. Try comparing the Escalade (which I believe has leather-like material inserts in the doors) to the Lexus GX470. Then, even if the Cadillac falls short, I can deal with that. To compare the base level trim of an entry level vehicle to luxury brands is not a fair comparison.

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
another reason GM cars or any of the big 3 companies cost more is the Auto workers union. Most of the other japanese, korean and german companies in the US dont have union workers. think of it this way, say GM pays the average person $35/hour they have to pay the union probably close to $80-100/hour to include all of the benefits the union has to have. the non union plants would still pay the same worker $35/hour and have no where as much of money to pay in benefits, so in all they can sell for a lower price since they hourly wage and overhead would be less..

Didn't want to mention the unions I'd be writing all day.. Lol just DONTget me started!!! :rant:

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It must be because they can store oil, and we all know how high oil is. Mine loves oil.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Confederate --- oh wait... wrong union.. but yes and yes the damn labor unions are messing up the system... i want GM to cost the same as it does now and have the quality of materials and build of a Bentley that would make me feel alot better about dropping 60k on Eski or 50 on a Hoe or Nali....

and metal prices have caused my custom knife making to almost double in over head costs... :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LadnerAutomotive