What is that damn smell??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bigell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You’ll probably want to change out or replace the cabin air filter. You can even get a HEPA cavil air filter. That way you’ll have a clean filter after you’ve cleaned everything else. Just a thought. Aloha!
Yeah, I bought a reusable K&N filter for
$30…

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They also have activated carbon cabin filters for a little more than standard filters - you may give that a shot after you fumigate again...

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah… I used the AC cool vent cleaner/deodorizer on the cowl under the wipers..It helped a little, now I only get the smell when I turn the air on….
OK, here is a great place for an Ozone generator. I bought mine from Amazon and have used it a few times in various vehicles with terrible smells in the, such as rat/mouse urine, cat urine, dead rodents and even with terrible smoking smell buildup. As long as you get rid of the continuing source of the smell, i.e. carcasses, cigarette ashes/butts, mud made from cat urine plus dust, stuff like that, the generated Ozone will combine with the biologic smell and remove it. Look it up on Amazon and see what the ads say it will do. There is also a Scotty Killmer video about it on YouTube. It will take a couple of hours of time with your vehicle all closed up and the motor running with the air on Recirculate at high speed. Pretty simple. The Ozone generator will even kill bed bugs, fleas, ticks and other pests that might have found their way into a bedroom or other room in your house. It kills anything that relies on Oxygen to breath, including cats, dogs and people, so don't sit around breathing that stuff.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, here is a great place for an Ozone generator. I bought mine from Amazon and have used it a few times in various vehicles with terrible smells in the, such as rat/mouse urine, cat urine, dead rodents and even with terrible smoking smell buildup. As long as you get rid of the continuing source of the smell, i.e. carcasses, cigarette ashes/butts, mud made from cat urine plus dust, stuff like that, the generated Ozone will combine with the biologic smell and remove it. Look it up on Amazon and see what the ads say it will do. There is also a Scotty Killmer video about it on YouTube. It will take a couple of hours of time with your vehicle all closed up and the motor running with the air on Recirculate at high speed. Pretty simple. The Ozone generator will even kill bed bugs, fleas, ticks and other pests that might have found their way into a bedroom or other room in your house. It kills anything that relies on Oxygen to breath, including cats, dogs and people, so don't sit around breathing that stuff.
Ozone is great, I've used it several times. But don't count on it to kill or chase away bugs and animals. The rats in my garage just laughed like it was laughing gas.

If you "flood" the vehicle with ozone, which is usually necessary for bad smells, you won't want to use the vehicle for a few hours after the treatment. Also, there will be a lingering smell of ozone that gradually diminishes over a week.

arkie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
About a week ago I moved my my 2020 Yukon out of the driveway, turned the AC on (as it was almost 90 degrees), and got the funkiest odor out of the vent and a noise like a bunch of leaves on the blower. I found a nest on the filter, changed it, cleaned the blower off, so no more leaves. But for three days after this, I still get that funny smell out of the vent. I used McGuire vent cleaner, and AC PRO vent cleaner, but the smell is still there! Anyone ever experience this, it’s annoying as heck…
Anytime you change the filter you should slide a thin cardboard below the filter before you pull the filter.
That will catch all the leaves and crap that is on top of the filter before it falls into the fan.
Then you can slide the cardboard out with the debris or vacuum it out without it falling into fan.

OP
OP
B

Bigell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
lmao
just like boom "its piss"
regardless dub is correct and it will either never go away or take quite a while. you could have a professional detailing service try to get the smell out. they could have gotten anywhere in the duct work also so without removing everything and cleaning it with something aggressive its hard to get rid
Anytime you change the filter you should slide a thin cardboard below the filter before you pull the filter.
That will catch all the leaves and crap that is on top of the filter before it falls into the fan.
Then you can slide the cardboard out with the debris or vacuum it out without it falling into fan.
Yeah….After I bought all kinds of deodorizers, evap coil cleaners the smell is still in the car. I bought a skinny scope camera, put it thru the duct under the glove compartment and there lies Mickey Mouse , dead amongst a bunch of leaves in the ductwork.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah….After I bought all kinds of deodorizers, evap coil cleaners the smell is still in the car. I bought a skinny scope camera, put it thru the duct under the glove compartment and there lies Mickey Mouse , dead amongst a bunch of leaves in the ductwork.
you need one of those flexible pinch grabbers, most auto parts store have them or harbor freight or buy one online.
I have one for grabbibg tools or nuts/bolts that fall into crevices that are hard to reach. attach it to your camera and you can grab it out of there

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hate trying to clean that stuff out. for me it better be something i really like or im liable to just use the match method

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia