What gas brand is the best for fill ups does it have it have to be tier 1 rated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No.
There are Tier 1 refineries that produce Tier 1 wholesale gas ("raw" gas without the additives) and Tier 1 retail gas with the additives that meet the auto manufacturers specs.

In other words, the wholesale gas might meet Tier 1 wholesale gas specs, but without the additives at the retail level it doesn't meet the specs for retail Tier 1 gas.

When Tier 1 rating first came out, Shell premium "V-Power" was the cleanest burning and reduced carbon deposits more than any other gasoline on the market. That was a few years ago and it appears a few other brands of premium gas are the equal of Shell premium.

As the gas grades increase, the more/better additives are added to the gasoline.

I get approximately 1 mile to the gallon better with mid-grade vs regular in three 5.7 Vortec's and two 5.3 Gen III Vortec's. Time and again I have kept track of fuel mileage in one truck or the other and consistently they get better fuel mileage with mid-grade. Here in Colorado the octane rating is 2 points lower than in rest of the country because higher altitude/lower air pressure means the fuel molecules mix better with the air molecules and allegedly raises the octane.

Octane is a nebulous figure because fuel temp, humidity, and air pressure all affect the octane of gas. So the octane ratings are arrived at under controlled conditions and can vary a fair amount in the real world.

Edit: My bad. Originally the gas rated by the manufacturers was called "Tier 1", but it's now called Top Tier.
Well all I can say is there is only 2 refineries around here about 80 miles away one is a valero and the other is a conoco/philips and one or the other pumps the gas thru lines to the local port here where all the gas trucks line up and fill up, the rest of the refineries are hundreds of miles away

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here most gas stations all get there gas from the same place, the stations are just a franchise and pay for the "brand name" but sell the same gas as the independent down the street.

Really? So Mobil is selling to same gas as the econogas on the corner? Just curious how you know that?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? So Mobil is selling to same gas as the econogas on the corner? Just curious how you know that?
I don't know that any mobile franchise around here is selling the same gas I just now that there is no exxon/mobile refinery anywhere even close to here the nearest one is in billings, Montana, so I guess if they are trucking the fuel 1500 miles then maybe not.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gasoline is transported from the refinery to the distribution center/tank farm via pipeline. It is then trucked to service stations and/or customers.

BigBlueLB756

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having lived for 5+ years with the Colonial pipeline in my backyard (runs from Texas all the way up the East Coast), they're pumping gasoline enmasse to the various terminals along the pipeline, where specific additive blends are added to get the various flavors at the stations near you. Some are good; some are better.

Yeah, I thought, why not tap it.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've seen this general trend, for sure. The difference between your trucks is the compression. That's why it makes a difference.
yeah the 5.3 for 2007 was only 9.5:1 while the 6.0/6.2l is 10.5:1 (hybrid 6.0l have VVT that can take advantage of the higher octane as well)..
or if you have Flex Fuel it has adjustments for high octane fuel

also if the engine has carbon deposits you will have a higher compression ratio as well to take advantage of it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e