What gas brand is the best for fill ups does it have it have to be tier 1 rated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried a few different one brands but not sure what to stick too the manuel states it has to be tier 1 rated. My bj sells premium gas for $2.44 a gallon but bjs is not in tier 1 rated gas stations . And other gas station around me are at $3.00 a gallon that are tier rated gas station. What do you use brand noticed and give better milage. Anyone used bjs gas is it good
Chevron premium currently 91 octane 0.14 cent/ miles highway (almost 26mpg with the 6.0l with E-Assist )
use 91 or 93 octane for best performance or E30 if you have flexfuel

Brandon Hubbard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What’s wrong with gas from Costco? It’s top tier.
I get the best MPG in all my vehicles from Costco. I have a lifted xterra with 33s on it and get about 2 mph better vs Kroger/BP/shell ect. I will only buy it from there.

OP
OP
Jorge1313

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 87 Mobil fuel 99% of the time. Their stations [at least in my neck of the woods] are very well maintained. Mobil has their people out in the field checking out their gas stations to make sure everything is working properly. I always see the station employees checking their tanks. Rest rooms are always spotless.

I have a had friends by tank fulls of dirt from other stations. RaceTrac is one of them. All my vehicles ran horribly on Chevron. I know some people love Chevron but I am not one of them. Shell burns like water in my Tahoe. I see the gauge go down quickly while I an driving using Shell. I had to use Shell a couple of times during a Hurricane as I had no choice. Shell rules the Florida Turnpike unfortunately.

Sunoco rules the I-95 corridor in Maryland and the New Jersey Turnpike. I always stop at the Maryland House on I-95 when I pass thru and tank up with Sunoco. No issues with their Sunoco 87. In fact I have a half of tank left by the time I get to NYC from the Maryland House.

I see zero difference in my Tahoe using anything higher then 87 octane. I used 89 and 93 and did not see any better performance or better MPG's. With that said I used 87 Mobil in all my Cadillacs,Caprices,Impalas and all my other V8 engines with zero issues.

IMHO you should only use a top tier fuel...Especially if you have Direct Injection.
Is the Tahoe direct injection

bobsyouruncle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2 cents... I am the proud owner of a 2018 Yukon Denali with the 6.2l and this is the most fussy vehicle I've ever had when it comes to the brand of gas put in. I've been driving it for almost 12 months. I'm in Western Canada and have tried Costco Premium, Shell Premium, Esso Premium, and even Chevon Premium (all 91 oct) With each tank of these fuels the vehicle runs horribly. Hesitation and no power. My previous vehicle was a 2007 Tahoe with the 5.3l and it didn't matter what I put in, even ****** US border town gas, it ran just fine. I've never been one to subscribe to the notion that the brand of gas made a difference, but it sure does with this engine.

For this new beast, the only gas that satisfies is Chevron Supreme Plus (94 oct) With this gas on board the truck runs fantastic. Lots of uumph off the line and great milage. I hate the cost (today 153.9 cents/litre) but love the performance.

T.

alpinecrick

Reaction score
Around here most gas stations all get there gas from the same place, the stations are just a franchise and pay for the "brand name" but sell the same gas as the independent down the street.

No.
There are Tier 1 refineries that produce Tier 1 wholesale gas ("raw" gas without the additives) and Tier 1 retail gas with the additives that meet the auto manufacturers specs.

In other words, the wholesale gas might meet Tier 1 wholesale gas specs, but without the additives at the retail level it doesn't meet the specs for retail Tier 1 gas.

When Tier 1 rating first came out, Shell premium "V-Power" was the cleanest burning and reduced carbon deposits more than any other gasoline on the market. That was a few years ago and it appears a few other brands of premium gas are the equal of Shell premium.

As the gas grades increase, the more/better additives are added to the gasoline.

I get approximately 1 mile to the gallon better with mid-grade vs regular in three 5.7 Vortec's and two 5.3 Gen III Vortec's. Time and again I have kept track of fuel mileage in one truck or the other and consistently they get better fuel mileage with mid-grade. Here in Colorado the octane rating is 2 points lower than in rest of the country because higher altitude/lower air pressure means the fuel molecules mix better with the air molecules and allegedly raises the octane.

Octane is a nebulous figure because fuel temp, humidity, and air pressure all affect the octane of gas. So the octane ratings are arrived at under controlled conditions and can vary a fair amount in the real world.

Edit: My bad. Originally the gas rated by the manufacturers was called "Tier 1", but it's now called Top Tier.

Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
My 2 cents... I am the proud owner of a 2018 Yukon Denali with the 6.2l and this is the most fussy vehicle I've ever had when it comes to the brand of gas put in. I've been driving it for almost 12 months. I'm in Western Canada and have tried Costco Premium, Shell Premium, Esso Premium, and even Chevon Premium (all 91 oct) With each tank of these fuels the vehicle runs horribly. Hesitation and no power. My previous vehicle was a 2007 Tahoe with the 5.3l and it didn't matter what I put in, even ****** US border town gas, it ran just fine. I've never been one to subscribe to the notion that the brand of gas made a difference, but it sure does with this engine.

For this new beast, the only gas that satisfies is Chevron Supreme Plus (94 oct) With this gas on board the truck runs fantastic. Lots of uumph off the line and great milage. I hate the cost (today 153.9 cents/litre) but love the performance.

T.

We've seen this general trend, for sure. The difference between your trucks is the compression. That's why it makes a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98