What else should I do while I've got my dash removed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Z71Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New to the forum. I've got an 02 Tahoe Z71 I'm restoring and I gave a bad heater core. I've been been avoiding it for obvious reasons, but it's time to deal with it.
I had planned to do my EVAP core and blend door motors and I'm wondering what else you guys think I should replace while I'm there.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New to the forum. I've got an 02 Tahoe Z71 I'm restoring and I gave a bad heater core. I've been been avoiding it for obvious reasons, but it's time to deal with it.
I had planned to do my EVAP core and blend door motors and I'm wondering what else you guys think I should replace while I'm there.

Check the condition of the actual doors while you are in there and the foam for the vents. Can't think of anything else.

OP
OP
02Z71Raven

02Z71Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the condition of the actual doors while you are in there and the foam for the vents. Can't think of anything else.

Good idea, thanks.

If I needed to replace the foam, any thoughts on products to use to do that?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
02Z71Raven

02Z71Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you watched any video's of what is all involved in this job.View attachment 280769

I have, which is why I have procrastinated this long. Luckily it's a project truck, I don't need it for daily commute and I have several junk yards close by for parts. Fingers crossed.

Edit: Now I'm thinking maybe I should go take one of theirs apart first. Thanks jonnytahoe, now I have something to do this weekend.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your lucky its not your only truck and its summer. I too watched a video on a heater core replacement the guy had so many wires and connectors removed and none were marked. Anybody can take stuff apart getting it back together correctly is completely different and takes longer. Is the core leaking/no heat ? Practice at the junkyard not a bad idea Grab the core out of it too.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always go thru the ducts, get rid of any dust, mouse nests, or whatever else may have collected in there (anti-freeze), just for better breathing.

OP
OP
02Z71Raven

02Z71Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your lucky its not your only truck and its summer. I too watched a video on a heater core replacement the guy had so many wires and connectors removed and none were marked. Anybody can take stuff apart getting it back together correctly is completely different and takes longer. Is the core leaking/no heat ? Practice at the junkyard not a bad idea Grab the core out of it too.

Yes, it leaks antifreeze, so I bypassed it years ago. I live in Texas so I don't often need it but I'm now up against replacing the ac system so I figured it's time to just bite the bullet. I've already removed a lot of wiring from all the stereo stuff the Z71 had, and I do low voltage cabling for a living so I'm no stranger to massive amounts of cabling, but practice on a junkyard truck would definitely be advantageous I'd think.

Besides, who doesn't love a trip to the junk yard?

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your lucky you have access to rust-free Trucks. Mine is from Richardson and the 3rd vehicle I have bought from Texas. We use to drive down to Dallas from MN and bring back rust-free cars. Love the junk yards down there too just have to watch out for the rattle snakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645