What can I tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

enypde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what I can tow what trailer to buy or anything. Possibly looking for a box trailer. I looked in the manual and have read about it but just don't really understand it. I have a 2011 Tahoe LTZ. This is the sticker on the hitch.

IMG_0849.jpg

FishinCricket

GMC Salesman
Reaction score
Max trailering capacity is 8200 lbs with 5.3 and 3.42 rear end on a 4x4.. 8500 if 2wd

This isn't so much what you can safely tow as much as it is what you can safely stop.

This info should be in your owners manual.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Remember when picking out a trailer you MUST add tongue weight, cargo and such to the base trailer weight to come up with a correct weight figure to compare against your towing capacity.

OP
OP
enypde

enypde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that 8200 lbs is the total weight including the trailer and it's cargo? What is the 5,000 lbs on the sticker?

FishinCricket

GMC Salesman
Reaction score
And tongue weight, yes....

"What's the 5,000 lbs on the sticker"

A number on a sticker

Here, read this

Also all info that is available in your owners manual or from your salesman. :)

Not that I mind you asking, just sayin...

OP
OP
enypde

enypde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked the guy at the chevy dealer he has no idea. Then I asked the guy in the parts department about if I had the heavy duty tow package. He goes "do you have a hitch on the back" yes I do "he goes well then you have the tow package" haha. So I dunno if I have it. But I'll read the manual.

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock I towed about 6000lbs closed trailer with a track car about 200mi oneway without a problem. But thats my NBS 2wd 5.3L 3.73 gears Suburban. If your towing something heavy all the time get a trans cooler.

FishinCricket

GMC Salesman
Reaction score
I asked the guy at the chevy dealer he has no idea. Then I asked the guy in the parts department about if I had the heavy duty tow package. He goes "do you have a hitch on the back" yes I do "he goes well then you have the tow package" haha. So I dunno if I have it. But I'll read the manual.

Well for ***** sake.... Do you put up with incompetence routinely? When a dipstick employee gives you a stupid answer or simply shrugs and goes back to their texting/solitaire/ angry birds, don't just take that shit man! Ask for a manager, tell him his employee is an incompetent boob!

GM sends us training, books, PDF's, gobs of materials like Trailering guides, charts, explanations of GVWR vs GAWR and GCWR... those dipstick employees even have a dedicated website to help them answer your question without even removing their head from their ******!

But I guess that's why you come here, eh? So do yourself/us a favor and go take a picture of your option code list (white sticker in your glovebox with a bunch of weird codes on it) and also snap a photo of your whole hitch. This info will tell us if you have the factory "Trailering package" (with Trans cooler, oil cooler, etc) or just a bolt on hitch.

Did you read the link I posted explaining the difference in load carrying and weight distributing trailers? Does that make sense?

Delta_Chevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have 2 SPD transfer case? I think the HD trailiering package only comes on vehicles with 2spd transfer case.

FishinCricket

GMC Salesman
Reaction score
Stock I towed about 6000lbs closed trailer with a track car about 200mi oneway without a problem. But thats my NBS 2wd 5.3L 3.73 gears Suburban.
"Without a problem"
All this means is that you didn't have to make any sudden stops, lane adjustments, etc. if someone had pulled out in front of you and you weren't able to stop in time then you would be at fault if you were deemed over weight, even if they did swoop and stop right in front of you. (Not to mention going over weight can effect your brake pads, steering components, etc)

Your engine and transmission have the ability to tow much more than the "rating" (though I wouldn't promise that they could do it for extended periods). Your vehicles "towing capacity" is limited by the amount of weight the vehicle is able to stop safely.

If your towing something heavy all the time get a trans cooler.

Definitely solid advice.. Moreover just make sure the one you are buying has a factory package already as it will always include those coolers and the proper gearing, tow haul mode (which adjusts shift points) etc.

OP
OP
enypde

enypde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I most will most likely not ever tow anything more than a boat. But who knows. Prob in the near future will be looking to tow lumber, house supplies, and appliances. Can I trailer a car? I looked up my gear ratio it is 3.08 will that cause a problem.