What are these parts ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
that is so the engine compartment does not collapse in a crash (in an unintended manner) that reminds me i need to replace mine as it's missing
Not on the mustangs, which are unibody cars, they are to help with handling by keeping the tops of the strut towers braced so there is no deflection under cornering forces. These bars aren't stamped sheet metal, but tubular steel and pretty robust and are called a "strut tower brace".

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not on the mustangs, which are unibody cars, they are to help with handling by keeping the tops of the strut towers braced so there is no deflection under cornering forces. These bars aren't stamped sheet metal, but tubular steel and pretty robust and are called a "strut tower brace".
on the tahoe it's for the small overlap crash test.. as noted only being installed on the drivers side front corner

Reaction score
on the tahoe it's for the small overlap crash test.. as noted only being installed on the drivers side front corner
I'm aware of that, but you quoted my post about what I said about the mustangs, so I assumed you were talking to me about what I said.

Reaction score
Why are we talking about Mustangs though?
The OP brought up the Jetta and what these "parts" were on that vehicle.

I just brought up that these "parts" aren't for the same reasons on different vehicles and gave an example

Just like Tonyrodz did with the GN

Either way, it's a brace. Whether it's bracing the fenders or upper shock mounts from flexing

Last edited:

wilbranka

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just an FYI...the dealership I have my vehicle serviced at has been known to accidentally leave one of those support brackets disconnected after performing a brake master cylinder service.

spta97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sway bars, or more correctly "ANTI" sway bars are under the vehicle. There seems to be a distinction between "Strut Tower Braces" (which connect struts together) and "Engine Braces" which are additional braces in the engine not connected to the struts.

There are varying opinions on whether or not these make a difference in handling (by stiffening the front end), my experience is they do.

Speaking of other vehicles, they come stock on my BMW X3M and the Toyota Supra (also made by BMW). I cannot imagine BMW would not stop including these if they made no difference as they are all about cost savings.

If you are really trick, I recommend wrapping the braces in your choice color of vinyl to give it a nice pop :).

Below is my X3M with both a strut tower brace (not wrapped) and engine braces (wrapped) along with the "V-brace" (wrapped) behind the grill.

Attachments

• Strut Brace Wrap 1.JPG
    Strut Brace Wrap 1.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Vbrace Sun2.JPG
    Vbrace Sun2.JPG
    508.7 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sway bars, or more correctly "ANTI" sway bars are under the vehicle. There seems to be a distinction between "Strut Tower Braces" (which connect struts together) and "Engine Braces" which are additional braces in the engine not connected to the struts.

There are varying opinions on whether or not these make a difference in handling (by stiffening the front end), my experience is they do.

Speaking of other vehicles, they come stock on my BMW X3M and the Toyota Supra (also made by BMW). I cannot imagine BMW would not stop including these if they made no difference as they are all about cost savings.

If you are really trick, I recommend wrapping the braces in your choice color of vinyl to give it a nice pop :).

Below is my X3M with both a strut tower brace (not wrapped) and engine braces (wrapped) along with the "V-brace" (wrapped) behind the grill.
I was thinking of either painting or wrapping these bars actually.
I do have a roll of Chamaeleon vinyl but I don’t like it.
I was considering wrapping the whole Tahoe in chrome vinyl but decided the factory blackout looks good enough

Bro those seats in the BMW looks so nice, is that seat cover or OEM ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins