What? An EV Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is just a chat forum and that drawing is a rendering by an artist, nothing from GM. I think the earliest you’d see an electric Tahoe/yukon would be 2026-27 cuz the current platform is scheduled thru 2026. My cousin who works for GM thinks you’ll see an ev escalade first tho of the 3 suvs.
But yea the real world EV experiences so far are not the greatest, basically if u only have to travel <60 miles a day to work and home and then plug it in every night then they r fine, long distance travel are def a no. But what’s funny is charging prices home and on road are coming out to be equal to our elevated gas prices $4-5/gallon.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, can you imagine that someone living in Atlanta could not drive the family straight into Orlando to see Mickey Mouse? They'd have to stop, probably overnight, to charge it up. That's 441 miles, most of us can do that without refueling and only a few potty breaks for the kids and to eat a meal or two. Now you have to throw in two more nights of hotels and food as well. And they tell me it's cheaper! LOL

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guys on TFL truck (you tube) have been testing the Lightning and the Hummer EV in real world situations, and even have a 6 part video series on driving the Lightning to Purdhoe Bay, AK. The vids are unbiased and show the true capabilities.

They managed a 135 mile round trip with the EV Hummer towing a 7000lb camper trailer up the IKE gauntlet. They have shown that current charging capabilities are somewhat painful, etc. I’d encourage anyone to watch them and form their own opinion.

I tell people when the day I’ll consider an electric truck:
1) when purchasining and total cost of ownership is on par with my current Yukon
2) when I can hook my boat on in SE Minnesota, drive to my favorite fishing hole in Ontario in 9 hours (which is what this 480 mile trip takes today)
3) Be able to return (since the nearest city where a charger might be is 70 miles from the camp, and the whole camp runs on a 500 kW CAT Diesel Generator out back).

Tech does not support 1-3 yet. Might it get there? We’ll see.

Until then, I’ll let my own under hood engine do the conversion of dinosaur power to motion instead of relying on the power company to first turn it into electrical energy…

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EV thing is a joke. It makes sense in bikes (I own 3 e-bikes and they are cheap, fun transportation). It makes sense for some smaller cars to bebop around town or for short commutes. Trying to move a 6000 - 9000 lb brick through the air makes ZERO sense to me. Even the whole EV semi thing is ludicrous to me other than maybe as a yard dog to move trailers at 10 mph.

There was a cool video on the news a few years back that showed an inventor of a battery that was COMPLETELY recyclable, cheap to build, provided good output, and would recharge a bazillion times before it needed to be serviced / and or replaced. I think he was British. It was a really informative video........I guess too good, and I'm assuming some company with stock in lithium probably bought the patent and locked it away because I haven't seen anything on it since.

I'll do electric when it actually makes sense financially and ethically.

garymyman

Reaction score
Right, can you imagine that someone living in Atlanta could not drive the family straight into Orlando to see Mickey Mouse? They'd have to stop, probably overnight, to charge it up. That's 441 miles, most of us can do that without refueling and only a few potty breaks for the kids and to eat a meal or two. Now you have to throw in two more nights of hotels and food as well. And they tell me it's cheaper! LOL
This is absurd. In reality you'd stop in Valdosta - about the midway point - charge for 30-40 minutes at the Electrify America station in the Walmart parking lot, walk around the store and buy snacks for your trip. Or eat lunch at the Cajun Wild Crab next door. It would cost you about $4.80 to add 200 miles of range to your vehicle (if you're an EA member for $4/month). Once at Disney you'd find a Level 2 charger at your hotel and charge up for free for the return trip.

Charging infrastructure is lacking right now, but it's improving every day. Once the big truck stop brands realize how much they can profit by sticking charging stations in their parking lots, range anxiety will be a thing of the past. Allegedly Tesla's Supercharging network will be opened to other manufacturers soon - I'm not holding my breath on that one but it will cause demand to increase even faster.

For those who say "But I can't tow my horse trailer from Detroit to San Diego in one day like I can with my Yukon!" Well... it's not for you, then. No big deal.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is absurd. In reality you'd stop in Valdosta - about the midway point - charge for 30-40 minutes at the Electrify America station in the Walmart parking lot...

Watching the TFL guys, it seems to take longer than that, especially with the bigger vehicles like the Hummer or Lightning. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm all for tech and against scams.

Reaction score
When charging becomes as quick and convenient as stopping to get gas is now, then I might consider an EV.

Pulling into a charging station and plugging in for 5 minutes to fully charge would be just like stopping to get gas, except for needing to do it twice as often.

Oh, and I got this email from GM last week. Available spring of 2024

Screenshot_20221025-080301_TypeApp.jpg