Wet passenger floor in my 05 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the same thing too...Heater core. I pulled up all the carpet and padding and it was soaked through only on the passenger side. My cab is now bare metal floor while I have it out drying. So just to verify it is the heater core, ran the engine with the heater blasting for 20 minutes but it has NOT leaked at all! Maybe it's not the heater core? I imagined that I'd see water running down from under the dash to the floor if it were. Am I wrong?

What other possibilities else be causing it? I hosed down the window, windshield, and sunroof and no water came in. I'm kind of stumped the moment and don't want to have to pull the dash out if I don't have to. It rained steadily earlier in the week so I'm praying it's that somehow. Suggestions?

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, nevermind. I'm sure it's the heater core now. After posting this I went out and looked and it's starting to pool again. I guess the only question is if since I'm going to have to pull the dash out (and it's going to be a pain in the a**) should I go ahead and replace the evaporator while I'm in there?

Uggg...

Scottycamaroz28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a similar issue like this on my Yukon and it ended up being a missing hose for the ac system that drains the water to the ground. I had a soaked passenger floor board, I put a new piece of hose on it has been dry since. Just thought I suggest an easy solution before you rip out the dash

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You might want to 'rent' a cooling system pressure tester from Advance Auto or one of the other places that rent them for a refundable deposit. You can put some decent pressure into the cooling system pronto and that can show the leakdown (and leaks) right away.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue like this on my Yukon and it ended up being a missing hose for the ac system that drains the water to the ground. I had a soaked passenger floor board, I put a new piece of hose on it has been dry since. Just thought I suggest an easy solution before you rip out the dash

Thanks for the suggestion! Did you still have to pull out the dash to get to it or was it running through the firewall somehow? I'm going to go look for that.

OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it smells like Glycol it's a heater core/hoses. If it smells like plain water it's A/C condensate, most likely a clogged drain line. A tongue touch on the liquid is usually what I do. Careful though as Glycol isn't good for you...

I'm pretty sure it's antifreeze because what's leaking down is kind of dirty yellow and sticky. :/ I've seen the hack where someone does by cutting open glove box area to get to it but no way I'm doing something like that. I'd rather pay more to make sure it's right.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would still do the pressure tester because you are going to want to check your work after the heater core replacement. Just touch your finger tip in the fluid and tip of the tongue nasty taste will let you know. If the a/c works ok you can just remove the evap and blow clean and reinstall or replace if you want to. Make sure you remember where everything goes back together. The pressure test after the repair is also a way to check all other components that coolant travels through or past.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mijohnst

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would still do the pressure tester because you are going to want to check your work after the heater core replacement. Just touch your finger tip in the fluid and tip of the tongue nasty taste will let you know. If the a/c works ok you can just remove the evap and blow clean and reinstall or replace if you want to. Make sure you remember where everything goes back together. The pressure test after the repair is also a way to check all other components that coolant travels through or past.

Thank you for all the tips! It's going to be an adventure. lol YouTube isn't cheering me up either.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, gutting/removing a dash is never any fun. When I turned wrenches at 6'4" tall and 320 lbs. it was a big task for me but I did it. I can't remember if it was a Mustang or a Mustang II that was my first dash removal. It was in KC, Mo. and at a big shop and was the car of one of the KC Chiefs coaches daughter. My whole day was ate up except for lunch.

Commit to the heater core after making 100% sure and turn up the music and have a cold beer or 6 ready when needed. Don't short cut anything and be ready for other parts that will be needed when tear down. Heater hoses for instance? Make sure to clean all of the actuator door travel areas. Clean the heater box out real good and make sure the evap drain is clear and installed correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons