Weak front air flow problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stubbs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

Trying to figure out a problem with front HVAC before it gets too hot during the summer! My '07 Suburban has the auto climate control setup and when I set the fan to full blast there's only a modest amount of air coming from the upper vents. A/C itself works fine and the air gets cold, there just isn't enough of it.

I thought it might be a blower resistor or blower motor problem, so I tried swapping both of those with new OEM items. No difference, and with the cabin air filter out and the door open the motor pushes a TON of air through that open slot. I almost feel like the air just gets "lost" between the blower and the vents.

My next thought is maybe something's wrong with the position doors, but I can switch between defrost/feet/upper/combo no problem and feel the air coming out of the appropriate vents. When it's set on upper vents (face), for example, I can't feel any air from the defrost or feet vents.

Also interesting is that if I switch to recirculate, which on every car I've owned has always resulted in a good boost of airflow, I hear a distinct shift in noise as the air isn't being sucked through the cowl any more but I don't feel any change in airflow from the vents.

Where to look next?

Thanks!

OP
OP
S

stubbs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh, and I also removed the cabin air filter I'd added a couple of years ago to see if that made a difference - and there's certainly more air with no filter, but it's not a huge difference. I'm just looking for the usual "blast me in the face" mode most cars have!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Trying to figure out a problem with front HVAC before it gets too hot during the summer! My '07 Suburban has the auto climate control setup and when I set the fan to full blast there's only a modest amount of air coming from the upper vents. A/C itself works fine and the air gets cold, there just isn't enough of it.

I thought it might be a blower resistor or blower motor problem, so I tried swapping both of those with new OEM items. No difference, and with the cabin air filter out and the door open the motor pushes a TON of air through that open slot. I almost feel like the air just gets "lost" between the blower and the vents.

My next thought is maybe something's wrong with the position doors, but I can switch between defrost/feet/upper/combo no problem and feel the air coming out of the appropriate vents. When it's set on upper vents (face), for example, I can't feel any air from the defrost or feet vents.

Also interesting is that if I switch to recirculate, which on every car I've owned has always resulted in a good boost of airflow, I hear a distinct shift in noise as the air isn't being sucked through the cowl any more but I don't feel any change in airflow from the vents.

Where to look next?

Thanks!
I would never describe the airflow from the upper vents on these trucks as a "blast in the face". I like that fact and consider it a superior design to that of other cars where the fan is so powerful as to be distracting enough to make conversation difficult. Our Infiniti G35X is like that and I hate it. Both of our Yukon XL Denali's have much milder fan noise and less peak airflow. Could be that what you're experiencing is normal but it's hard to say without some way to measure it. Some of the guys on here have used handheld anemometers to do so, so maybe one of them will chime in here.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Where to look next?

Thanks!
Stubbs, who do you know with a Tech-2? Have a look in our Tech-2 map and see if someone lives close by.

I reckon that one or more of the actuators isn't behaving and either needs to be recalibrated or replaced. The Tech-2 can pull the internal BCM codes but more importantly, can see what they are doing versus what they're being commanded to do and can even test them individually. There are 4 actuators up front.

OP
OP
S

stubbs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would never describe the airflow from the upper vents on these trucks as a "blast in the face". I like that fact and consider it a superior design to that of other cars where the fan is so powerful as to be distracting enough to make conversation difficult. Our Infiniti G35X is like that and I hate it. Both of our Yukon XL Denali's have much milder fan noise and less peak airflow. Could be that what you're experiencing is normal but it's hard to say without some way to measure it. Some of the guys on here have used handheld anemometers to do so, so maybe one of them will chime in here.
Thanks, it could very well just be that. I've had it for two years now and didn't think much about it last summer, so I guess it's not terrible. We just found ourselves wishing for more air when feeling hot/carsick/etc.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, it could very well just be that. I've had it for two years now and didn't think much about it last summer, so I guess it's not terrible. We just found ourselves wishing for more air when feeling hot/carsick/etc.
You might also follow James' advice if you have access to a Tech 2 scanner. It really will give you the details you need to see if the system is operating as it should. You can buy one for less than $300 through chinacardiags.com and they're worth their weight in gold when you own one of these rigs. A single diagnostics fee will nearly pay for the cost of the thing. I use mine all of the time - most recently to diagnose a liftgate actuator malfunction.

OP
OP
S

stubbs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Stubbs, who do you know with a Tech-2? Have a look in our Tech-2 map and see if someone lives close by.

I reckon that one or more of the actuators isn't behaving and either needs to be recalibrated or replaced. The Tech-2 can pull the internal BCM codes but more importantly, can see what they are doing versus what they're being commanded to do and can even test them individually. There are 4 actuators up front.
It might be time for me to get one myself!

OP
OP
S

stubbs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I haven’t gotten a tech2 yet but after running for a few days without one I’m not sure it’s worth the lack of dust. Airflow is tolerable without it.