Waze on the main screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

djsassan

Reaction score
The native Waze app in the infotainment screen is really slow to load and makes the infotainment seem really sluggish when it comes to hardware performance. Using Apple Carplay is like night and day for me when it comes to usability.

Though with the native app, it does work fine once everything loads but any changes on the fly are painful.
Agreed. I would usually use Google Maps, but it's nice to get all the alerts from Waze that Maps doesnt provide.

jjobev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I would usually use Google Maps, but it's nice to get all the alerts from Waze that Maps doesnt provide.
How do you download? Nothing shows up when I search for Waze in the google store in the vehicle. 2023 Denali Ultimate. I use CarPlay so don’t really care, but was curious if I was doing something wrong.

OP
OP
D

djsassan

Reaction score
Connect
I downloaded Waze from my 23 Yukon screen "Googleplay Store" and it downloaded fine but was a little wonky (kilometers instead of miles). I then downloaded the app on my Iphone. Went to my vehicle, connected carplay and all is well. The app on my phone and the app on the Yukon screen seem to be connected and happy. I can make more adjustments from the phone app.

I like Waze quite a bit. Its almost overkill for me with Google maps, Apple maps, Waze, indash nav.
Connected with the same account on phone and vehicle, still on km.

BrotriX

Reaction score
Any idea why Waze in the infotainment system is so ridiculously slow? I can use Waze through CarPlay but it’s nice to have the directions in the HUD, which you don’t get through CarPlay.

BigdawgR6

Reaction score
Any idea why Waze in the infotainment system is so ridiculously slow? I can use Waze through CarPlay but it’s nice to have the directions in the HUD, which you don’t get through CarPlay.
I wouldn't be surprised if this infotainment system was ran on a $60 Amazon Fire tablet. It literally feels that slow when it comes to running data intensive apps.

Tiger 4619

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I found by accident that if you input the route into Waze on your phone and then start your Yukon that the directions will show up on the HUD. I'm using an android phone with android auto so it may not work with car play.

ScottPSU

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone ever encounter an issue using Waze via the app downloaded to the infotainment system where it shows the route but doesn’t give turn by turn directions? Meaning that when I input my destination, it is kind enough to warn me when I’m driving too fast, but no navigation instructions. When I switch to CarPlay, it’s perfect. Is this just another “feature” we get? :)

photios

Reaction score
The native Waze app in the infotainment screen is really slow to load and makes the infotainment seem really sluggish when it comes to hardware performance. Using Apple Carplay is like night and day for me when it comes to usability.

Though with the native app, it does work fine once everything loads but any changes on the fly are painful.
This is exactly my experience. I would rather use the native app because the directions will appear on the HUD whereas with the Waze app via CarPlay, the directions do not show up on the HUD. Because it is so slow to load and sluggish as a whole, I have given up on it.

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed it, then removed it. The only way the screen would show where I was in real time is if I had Waze open on my phone. I still use Waze, just launch it on my phone when I need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts