Water sloshing sound in roof?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B520044

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is any consolation, I have spent 250k+ miles in these vehicles and have yet another one on order with the plan to put another 100K on one. If you have the radio on, you probably wouldn't notice it at all the majority of the time. Tires and brakes and these things just run forever. I have zero worries about ordering a 2021.

It is quite loud and "kidtriton's" description is very similar. I wish I could ignore all the sounds and hate having to turn up the radio in order to drown out noises. The headliner creaks, the driver door trim creaks and now these water sounds.... I still love it, but noises have always been a pet peeve of mine. I want to keep it long term, but am worried the sounds will eat at me...

Just hope the dealer can do something. I opened the pano roof going down the interstate and the water sounds were still there.

Video link to sounds:

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
It is quite loud and "kidtriton's" description is very similar. I wish I could ignore all the sounds and hate having to turn up the radio in order to drown out noises. The headliner creaks, the driver door trim creaks and now these water sounds.... I still love it, but noises have always been a pet peeve of mine. I want to keep it long term, but am worried the sounds will eat at me...

Just hope the dealer can do something. I opened the pano roof going down the interstate and the water sounds were still there.

Video link to sounds:
Doesn't sound like water to me.

OP
OP
B520044

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can hear some tapping noises but no water.

I agree the video doesn't sound so much like water, but it's water. Only happens during and after rain. I was driving 74mph, so the wind was really kicking the water around. My sunroof seal looks fine, so I don't know where the wind is getting in to move pooling water?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree the video doesn't sound so much like water, but it's water. Only happens during and after rain. I was driving 74mph, so the wind was really kicking the water around. My sunroof seal looks fine, so I don't know where the wind is getting in to move pooling water?
Maybe coming up through the drain. Could be instead of draining water out, air is being pushed up.

OP
OP
B520044

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it almost sounds like the drain is catching the wind and pushing the water.

I think you guys are on the something here.

Does anyone know where the drain lines run? I have a service appointment (3rd since August) for this, oil change, and creaking sounds on the 24th. I'll mention this to them.

Thanks!

kidtriton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly how mine sounds. His video makes it sound a little less like water but that's what it is. I also concur that it's like there is water in the drain tubes and the air is blowing bubbles through it or something like that. I worked as a master Ford tech from 1993-2003 and did my fair share of sunroof work and it definitely sounds like something with the drain tubes. Having the experience that I have with vehicles and early model year problems I'm choosing to sit quiet with my few annoyances until there are tried and true fixes, I don't want to take it to the dealership for them to undo trim and the headliner not knowing what the end game is.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly how mine sounds. His video makes it sound a little less like water but that's what it is. I also concur that it's like there is water in the drain tubes and the air is blowing bubbles through it or something like that. I worked as a master Ford tech from 1993-2003 and did my fair share of sunroof work and it definitely sounds like something with the drain tubes. Having the experience that I have with vehicles and early model year problems I'm choosing to sit quiet with my few annoyances until there are tried and true fixes, I don't want to take it to the dealership for them to undo trim and the headliner not knowing what the end game is.
From what I hear the dealers are breaking as many things as they’re fixing right now until they get experience disassembling the interiors. Good call.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you guys are on the something here.

Does anyone know where the drain lines run? I have a service appointment (3rd since August) for this, oil change, and creaking sounds on the 24th. I'll mention this to them.

Thanks!
I doubt anyone but GM’s engineers know where the drain lines run but the dealership can probably break a few things looking for it. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RelaxedRonin171