Water leak above seatbelt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Macho, just noticed this with my '09 Tahoe. We got a lot of rain this weekend (Friday and then Monday). Saturday my wife opened the rear right door and a stream of water started pouring down and out the bottom inside corner of the door. So much water that I thought my wife had spilled something. It drained for a good 10 minutes or so. Then last night after Monday's all day rain, I could hear water swishing back and forth in the roof on the right side. Just ran it over to the Chevy dealer so they could here it before it drained and made an appointment for next Tuesday (its under warranty). Interesting thing is that this was the only thing I saw on the Carfax when I bought it. It was brought in for service to unclog the sunroof drains. Service guy suspected it to be that same problem and he swore he could here water in the dash. Going to stay on top of this and after next weeks service appointment I may run a garden hose over the roof to see if it happens again. Going to stay on top of this before it becomes a bigger problem.

How did you make out with your truck? I'll post an update next week after my service appt.:waytogo:

Hello cjlaw73,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Please keep me updated on how your appointment goes at the dealership.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

cjlaw73

Reaction score
Hello cjlaw73,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Please keep me updated on how your appointment goes at the dealership.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Jennifer,

Thanks for checking in. I will. I have been a long term GM customer. Nice to see you guys using the forums to reach out to us owners.

Charlie

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jennifer,

Thanks for checking in. I will. I have been a long term GM customer. Nice to see you guys using the forums to reach out to us owners.

Charlie

Charlie,

You are welcome. Thank you for being a loyal customer. Remember, GM Customer Care is only a private message away on the forum.

Thanks again,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Macho, just noticed this with my '09 Tahoe. We got a lot of rain this weekend (Friday and then Monday). Saturday my wife opened the rear right door and a stream of water started pouring down and out the bottom inside corner of the door. So much water that I thought my wife had spilled something. It drained for a good 10 minutes or so. Then last night after Monday's all day rain, I could hear water swishing back and forth in the roof on the right side. Just ran it over to the Chevy dealer so they could here it before it drained and made an appointment for next Tuesday (its under warranty). Interesting thing is that this was the only thing I saw on the Carfax when I bought it. It was brought in for service to unclog the sunroof drains. Service guy suspected it to be that same problem and he swore he could here water in the dash. Going to stay on top of this and after next weeks service appointment I may run a garden hose over the roof to see if it happens again. Going to stay on top of this before it becomes a bigger problem.

How did you make out with your truck? I'll post an update next week after my service appt.:waytogo:

It hasn't happened since. I re torqued the bolts on the sunroof just to make sure. I highly doubt it was a clogged sunroof as my Tahoe is always garaged and was brand new.

Interesting side note: when it was raining a few weeks ago I noticed water leak out of the latch on the tailgate after I lowered it... Interesting leaks our tricks have.

cjlaw73

Reaction score
Charlie,

You are welcome. Thank you for being a loyal customer. Remember, GM Customer Care is only a private message away on the forum.

Thanks again,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Jennifer,

Sent you a PM.

To update anyone else that might be interested here's the recap. They told me that all of the water had drained out by the time they serviced it. Not surprising and the reason I drove it over last week for them to see when the water was present. They said that they did not observe any obstruction and decided to blow some compressed air down the drains to loosen any potential blockages. So I get in the vehicle to leave and there is water in the roof again (happened to rain most of the day). As I starrted to drive I could hear what I imagne was it draining with kind of a gurgle noise somewhere near the sunroof. It appears that it all drained out on the drive back home, but I can't say that I am satisfied with this outcome. What if my Tahoe sits for any given time period and it rains? It sounds to me like as long as it sits motionless it will collect water. It seems to only drain when it moved. A little worried that if sits too long during a rain event I could end up developing into Machos problem, not to mention otehr issues. Got to imagine standing water inside the rood is not good for rust. And I will be financing this truck for another 4 years.

It hasn't happened since. I re torqued the bolts on the sunroof just to make sure. I highly doubt it was a clogged sunroof as my Tahoe is always garaged and was brand new.

Interesting side note: when it was raining a few weeks ago I noticed water leak out of the latch on the tailgate after I lowered it... Interesting leaks our tricks have.

Yeah I hear you. Every vehicle has its quirks. I have owned several C5Vettes and have seen similar quirks in them all.

Greg Kulbick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to have to go check my roof rack bolts. My driveway is a significant incline, and I have noticed wet carpet in the back left corner of the truck by the liftgate. I traced the water up the pillar, so its definitely coming from above. Every once in a while I'll hear it dripping when I back out of the driveway onto level ground, then look back to see water on the back seat and a drips from the seatbelt opening. No sunroof on my truck either.

Greg Kulbick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So not only were some of the roof rack bolts on the driver side loose, one was gone. Got a replacement bolt to fill the hole at ACE and hit all the others to tighten them down. Ft. Myers to Tallahassee on Sunday with rain most of the way and the carpet in the cargo area is bone dry. Hopefully thats the end of that.

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice Greg. Glad you got it fixed. I'd say that confirms that the leak can also be the roof rack, since we both experienced the same problem and solution.

cjlaw73

Reaction score
So not only were some of the roof rack bolts on the driver side loose, one was gone. Got a replacement bolt to fill the hole at ACE and hit all the others to tighten them down. Ft. Myers to Tallahassee on Sunday with rain most of the way and the carpet in the cargo area is bone dry. Hopefully thats the end of that.

Nice Greg. Glad you got it fixed. I'd say that confirms that the leak can also be the roof rack, since we both experienced the same problem and solution.

You guys mind snapping a pic of the bolts located around the first frontward crossbar location? Not sure what its suppose to look like.

cjlaw73

Reaction score
The rain collection in the roof continues. Brought it to the dealer again today. Told them to check the roofrack bolts per the suggestions here. Will keep you guys apprised of the outcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kootamcgrabbin24