Passenger Floorboard leak not dexcool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kly5953

Reaction score
I have a 2004 tahoe LT 2wd 5.3
After completing work on the vehicle Sunday, we had 2 days of no issues but during a heavy rain yesterday in GA, I found the floorboard on the passenger side to be soaked. You could trace where the leak is landing and it seems to be coming from directly under the floor air vent. It's not dexcool, it's obviously water. Is there a drain back there that I am unaware of that is maybe clogged?
Sunday I took apart the dash to replace the blend door actuator behind the radio and install a new Blower Control Module. I used the method of cutting the ducting and taping it back together. Part of me is wondering if I cut anything back there that I didn't notice. Luckily it only took me about 30 minutes to get the dash apart so I can do that again if I need to.
I'm going on a trip early Thursday morning and need as much advice possible quickly. Honestly I hope it's just some drain that I can clean out, but if I have to wait till after vacation, we'll be parked in a covered spot the whole time so I guess it isn't too big of a deal.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be a drain for the AC unit under the dash, or it could be a moon roof drain, if you have one.

OP
OP
kly5953

kly5953

Reaction score
I chased this down a few times, but the issue never came back. We have had awful storms, and I have tried recreating the issue, but it will not come back. I have no clue what caused it, I'm glad it hasn't happened again.
I almost wonder if the drip may have come from condensation buildup behind the blend door actuator in the dash. I replaced it the day before it happened right? maybe now that it is functioning properly it let out some H2O that may have condensed behind it?

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is still probably a good idea to clean the seal around the sunroof if you have one. Then use the suction end of a shopvac with a tiny nozzle on the sunroof drains. I heard that if you blow through the lines you can actually separate sections of the drain hose.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It is still probably a good idea to clean the seal around the sunroof if you have one. Then use the suction end of a shopvac with a tiny nozzle on the sunroof drains. I heard that if you blow through the lines you can actually separate sections of the drain hose.
After cleaning the seals, you should lube them with a very light coat of silicone lube.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to clean out the leaves/debris that collect just under the hood, near the front window,

OP
OP
kly5953

kly5953

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I haven't put any silicon lube on the tracks but other than that I have cleaned out all the leavs under hood and the sunroof areas. I tried to keep all that clean from the date of purchase since it already had 165k on it. Now that I'm at 208k I need to start looking at keeping up with preventative maintenance again.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I haven't put any silicon lube on the tracks but other than that I have cleaned out all the leavs under hood and the sunroof areas. I tried to keep all that clean from the date of purchase since it already had 165k on it. Now that I'm at 208k I need to start looking at keeping up with preventative maintenance again.
See my signature....."Maintenance pays and breakdowns cost".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartman