Water / Coolant Leak(s)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDog9721

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I am restoring an 05 Tahoe... it had a lot of coolant leaks throughout the engine area... I replaced hoses under the hood and both t connectors on the fire wall, and reset the coolant tank. Now I have water as a steady trickle under the passenger side middle area just underneath the runnung board. 3 leaks... repaired... and more leaks... any thougth or suggestions? It's like wack a mole on water leaks! Thanks in advance!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I am restoring an 05 Tahoe... it had a lot of coolant leaks throughout the engine area... I replaced hoses under the hood and both t connectors on the fire wall, and reset the coolant tank. Now I have water as a steady trickle under the passenger side middle area just underneath the runnung board. 3 leaks... repaired... and more leaks... any thougth or suggestions? It's like wack a mole on water leaks! Thanks in advance!
the hvac condensation drain is right where you just stated, it comes right out of the firewall (passenger side) and it is normal for it to have a steady drip depending on the humidity.
the key difference is it will be clear water and not coolant.

OP
OP
BigDog9721

BigDog9721

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok that makes sense... but it's a steady trickle even though I haven't started the engine today... hmm!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok that makes sense... but it's a steady trickle even though I haven't started the engine today... hmm!
mine will sometimes spit out a good amount after it sat overnight when I pull out of the driveway, leaves a wet spot on the driveway and a wet line following the direction of travel

OP
OP
BigDog9721

BigDog9721

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Right now, I'm only adding water in the radiator... antifreeze to expensive to watch drain out.. once all leaks resolved I'll drain and replace with antifreeze. @PNW VietVet where would be the best place to start if a leak to the rear heater?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Pressure test and crawl under for a look see. Likely still has covers where the lines run. Get dirty and get under there and see. May have to also get in the back cover on the P/S inside the back and remove covers for inspection. If you are going to restore an 05, I highly recommend joining on with ALLDATAdiy.com and have all the pics and manual info at your fingertips, just like in a shop.

There would be a diagram of this whole set up.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now, I'm only adding water in the radiator... antifreeze to expensive to watch drain out.. once all leaks resolved I'll drain and replace with antifreeze. @PNW VietVet where would be the best place to start if a leak to the rear heater?
if the reservoir is going down then you have a leak, if not then it's just condensation.
a pressure test will confirm. autozone rents a pro kit, it's free but you have to put a security deposit of like $250, which gets fully refunded when you return the kit.
you just pump it up to 15psi and let it sit

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
reservoir is dropping... pressure test it is then! ALLDATAdiy.com sounds awesome!
you need a flash light and a mirror that can pivot
places to inspect:
directly under water pump and water pump bearing weep hole (hard to see-use mirror)
directly under radiator and sides (look under the support beam from below) and down each side of radiator (plastic sides)
coolant reservoir tank (they often crack)
large radiator hoses (less likely but can happen)
small radiator hoses
heater hoses, from water pump to firewall "T" connectors (most common problem)
inspect the Y where the 1 heater hose splits to water pump reservoir and heater core
crossover steam pipe (goes from front edge head to head under throttle body) rear of head's have a cap only.
throttle body coolant line (if equipped)
the only other place you might find a leak is the where the coolant lines enter the rear heater core (under right rear corner of truck behind right rear wheel)

otherwise get a nice clean piece of cardboard and place it under the truck at night and inspect it in the morning, note the location of any wet spot and look directly above.

last resort if no leaks found: possible coolant entering block or heads and burning off or mixing with oil. use a test tool to check c02 mixing with coolant. or oil test with blackstone labs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442