Washing Black Vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a black 2017 Tahoe (haven't had a black vehicle in 25 years) so I had a couple friends of mine you also have black vehicles say they never hand wash. They only run them through touch less washes. They claim it scratches them

I have always hand washed when the weather will allow.

How about you who have black vehicles - do you hand wash?

BlackYukon

I'm kind of a Retard
Reaction score
I just bought a black 2017 Tahoe (haven't had a black vehicle in 25 years) so I had a couple friends of mine you also have black vehicles say they never hand wash. They only run them through touch less washes. They claim it scratches them

I have always hand washed when the weather will allow.

How about you who have black vehicles - do you hand wash?
I'v Always hand washed my vehicle. It probably doesn't hurt to go through a car wash once a month but from what I understand it starts to degrade the paint over time and leave micro scratches.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't use a car wash. Ruins paint with the tiny scratches. I see so many nice / expensive cars literally covered in them. It looks freaking awful to me. Funnily enough I noticed them on my neighbors expensive Audi S this morning when I walked past it with my dogs.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To clear up the mud, touch style washes are what "leave swirl marks."

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

hcvone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hand wash with two bucket system, good car wash, use real sheepskin or microfiber wash mits, 100% cottontowel or good microfiber towels for drying, do not wash in the sun, early morning or after dinner best time. With black or any darker color, the softer the item used on your cars finish, the less chance of causing more light swirl marks.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hand wash with two bucket system, good car wash, use real sheepskin or microfiber wash mits, 100% cottontowel or good microfiber towels for drying, do not wash in the sun, early morning or after dinner best time. With black or any darker color, the softer the item used on your cars finish, the less chance of causing more light swirl marks.
EXCELLENT advice!
I always washed my black cars by hand, and I had 4 black cars in a row.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the original owner of your 2017 did? If the paint is in excellent condition without micro scratches, I'd get it ceramic glazed right away and then worry less about scratches - The glaze protects from them. Then wash it however you want.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the original owner of your 2017 did? If the paint is in excellent condition without micro scratches, I'd get it ceramic glazed right away and then worry less about scratches - The glaze protects from them. Then wash it however you want.

Rich, I'm not sure because I bought it at the insurance auction as vandalized and had it redone. The shop which did the body work also did a light polish buff on the car. So it looks great now.

When you say get it ceramic glazed are you referring to being done by detail shop? We did that on my wife 2020 Lincoln Nautilus.

Tim

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rich, I'm not sure because I bought it at the insurance auction as vandalized and had it redone. The shop which did the body work also did a light polish buff on the car. So it looks great now.

When you say get it ceramic glazed are you referring to being done by detail shop? We did that on my wife 2020 Lincoln Nautilus.

Tim
Tim - Yes, typically the ceramic glaze will be applied by a detail shop, but you can buy the product and do it yourself if you carefully follow the directions. There are several ceramic products available and my experience with them has been very positive. The glaze should last 5 years, but I'm only in year 2 on my car and year 3 on aircraft so can't fully attest to longevity.

EZ Money

Reaction score
I agree with Sealandsy. If you are a car guy, you need to clean the paint down to he clear coat and applying a ceramics sealant. In Arizona, nothing lasts more thank 1.5-2 years, so I use the Mother CMX and coat my paint every other month. I like it because I can control when I apply. But you can also have a detailing shop apply a longer lasting product.
Once you have the paint coated, you can wash it however you want.
The biggest misconception with washing any car is that you should never use a dirty rag or towel. Never dry you towels by laying them over a fence to dry. Once they touch the ground, they cannot be used. I recommend a clean, fresh towel for each surface. Never clean paint with the same towel you use for wheels or interior, etc. Also remember than if there is no libricztion between the towel and the paint (detailed, wax, even water), you paint will begin to damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e