Was the previous owner and idiot or was it a mechanic??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cobbcfi

Reaction score
I just decided to give my 1999 Yukon a complete tune up and upon inspecting the old spark plugs everyone of them were gapped to .080?? Am I missing something? the book says .060 and that's what the new plugs (AC Delco) were already pre-gapped to.

So my question is:

Why would someone have gapped them to .080?

Idiot? Inexperienced? Performance mod? Just didn't know any better?

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
maybe its all they had and he said screw it its going in like it or not!!!

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the PO had bad eyes and thought he was gapping them to .06 but did .08 on accident :shrug:

commercialcobb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As far as I can tell it's completely stock.. And as a matter of fact I sucked down a bottle of seafoam and let it sit for 20 minutes, fired it up and didn't smoke out the neighborhood?? Did I do it wrong or was it not that dirty? I poured it down the vacuum line from the cruise control module and didn't get the smoke bomb I wanted..

HankHill

Reaction score
Spark plugs are a consumable. Every time it fires, a small amount of the electrode material is lost. So what starts as a 60 thou gap eventually works its way to a larger one....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900