warm up time- noisy lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so after debating on it, im getting a remote start put in today.
Naturally if you look up information on the topic, google will tell you to only warm up for 30 seconds.
well, with 175,000 miles i have some ticking at start up in the cold, and its been my experience that in a vehicle with some miles, if its going to break it breaks in the cold.

So im interested in other peoples opinion, especially since we all have essentially the same driveline.
It doesnt seem out of line to let my truck run for 5 minutes before heading out when its 20 degrees outside.

thoughts?

RaiderRodney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 01 5.3 with around 144,000 on it and since changing to Penz Ultra Platinum synthetic I too have a little bit of lifter tick at startup. I usually let it run for a couple of minutes to let it stop before pulling out. There are a lot of people that say the engines are designed to be started up and drive off right away...but I guess it gives me a little piece of mind, even more so when it is really cold.

Bowzer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I alyways let mine warm up for about two minutes. 01 5.3 with 136k and I have used Mobil 1 10-30 since the second oil change. It's had the lifter tick since new. Runs like new and only burns 1/2 quart between changes. Valve covers never been off. A cold start here would be 40° though.

dantheman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are getting ticking it might be time to pop the heads off and put in new lifters. after having a camshaft and motor destroyed by a failed lifter that i said "itll be fine for a little while longer" i listen when they start ticking. we did a head swap to ported 241's on my wifes 04 gto and i thought it had an exhaust leak since we were originally doing shorty headers that ended up in a head swap im glad we did because it had 8 collapsed lifters just waiting to nuke the motor. its not a super difficult swap either just time consuming.

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably an Exhaust leak? Can you see all the bolt heads on the manifolds?

rndsommer

Reaction score
I have an 01 tahoe with a slight knock on cold start ups regardless of outside temp. I've had a few other 5.3s in different years and they all did it regardless of type of oil but always ran mobil1 synthetic. Maybe piston slap? They all ran great with zero issues. Goes away after 30-60 seconds. I use the remote start so I don't have to listen to it from inside the house.

Bowzer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 01 tahoe with a slight knock on cold start ups regardless of outside temp. I've had a few other 5.3s in different years and they all did it regardless of type of oil but always ran mobil1 synthetic. Maybe piston slap? They all ran great with zero issues. Goes away after 30-60 seconds. I use the remote start so I don't have to listen to it from inside the house.
My 5.3 has done this since new and the dealer referred to it as a lifter tick. I've been in several 5.3s that do this too. Guess it justifies the remote start!

Bowzer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are getting ticking it might be time to pop the heads off and put in new lifters. after having a camshaft and motor destroyed by a failed lifter that i said "itll be fine for a little while longer" i listen when they start ticking. we did a head swap to ported 241's on my wifes 04 gto and i thought it had an exhaust leak since we were originally doing shorty headers that ended up in a head swap im glad we did because it had 8 collapsed lifters just waiting to nuke the motor. its not a super difficult swap either just time consuming.
That's a bummer but at least a good excuse to do some upgrades. How many miles when the lifter failed?

Yukon2000xl

Reaction score
All my lifter ticking went away after oil pump change.On cold my oil pressure is 70, before when I bought the truck it was 40psi.Now warm it drops to 40psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dantheman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a bummer but at least a good excuse to do some upgrades. How many miles when the lifter failed?
the GTO had 104k miles when we pulled the heads but it had been ticking for about 5k miles or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr_hyde