Wanting to upgrade to 35x12.50

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stu8898

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You guys seem to know your stuff so I was seeing if any of you could help with my question. I have a 2007 chevy tahoe with 33x12.50x20 toyo open country m/t and I'm wanting to go to a 35. Is there any way possible to do that other than putting on a 6 inch lift.

Blackz

Reaction score
You would need at least a 4inch suspension lift

---------- Post added at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 AM ----------

Post a pic of your tahoe, i want to put 33x12.5 tires on mine

protonvx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on how much back spacing you are running on your current wheels, 35s are possible with some trimming. I am running 34s (9" wide +32mm offset) with a 2.5" front lift, I have minor rubbing and I have trimmed as much as I can. However, I have some wheels with roughly 7" of back spacing (9.5" wide, +45mm offset) and I know if I ran these I would not rub at all.

However, 4" lift would be better. This could be acclompished with a 2" Body Lift with your current 2.5" lift or obviously a suspension lift.

OP
OP
S

stu8898

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I figured i could get them to fit with alittle trimming and a smaller lift and I will try to get a pic posted today

protonvx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The amount of trimming really just depends on what you consider small. My opinion was what I trimmed was a small amount and none of what I trimmed can be noticed standing next to the truck nor did any of it affect how the liners or bumper mounts. However, if you pull back the fender liners, you can most definatley tell I trimmed some plastic (front side) and a little metal (rear side). I also used a heat gun to remold the fender liners for clearance. If I ever wanted to take it back to stock, I would need new fenders liners and the lower plastic liner/bumper supports which would be cheap at a junk yard.

There is a post on a truck forum where a guy ran 35s on stock 20s with the RC 3.5" lift.

More than likely I will either do a real 4" lift (probably CST) or a 2" body lift this winter.

Blackz

Reaction score
I really dont think you will be able to fit 35"s with just a leveling kit no matter how much you trim

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

My 285/65's rubbed with my 2inch leveling kit

OP
OP
S

stu8898

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was thinking a 4in suspension lift would be plenty since i already have the 2.5. The tires i have now are 33x12.50x20 but the new nitto terra grapplers are avialiable in a 35x11.50x20 so i might swap to them to get some extra clearance.

protonvx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is a "real" suspension lift as in spindles, upper control arms, dif drop, and lower control arm drop brackets, you should be able to add a little more lift seeing the that kit will take everything back to stock angles. I have read that a lot of nnbs truck guys run spacer lifts along with suspension lifts.

I would just not recommend running a spacer lift in addition to the lift similar to the Rough Country 3.5" lift or the Ready Lift SST 4" lift. These two lifts do not lower the control arms so by adding any more lift than the kit does would (IMO) create a lot of stress on the lower ball joint.

I don't understand why people don't do the 2" body lift. IMO, bodylifts are great if they are 3" or smaller. They add the needed tire clearance and are much cheaper than the suspension lifts. I know on the nnbs vehicles, the rear bumper is not supposed to be used for towing after a body lift, but with a little welding, it could be stronger than the stock bumper. This is the route I am leaning towards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman