Want to delete denali air ride, which springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as title says, have an 03 denali and the air pump/shocks don't seem to be doing too much good these days, and I don't want to spend the money to fix it all back to stock. a while back I found a good deal on some shocks so I grabbed enough that I could put on it if I needed too. the issue is, if I pull the air shocks off and put standard ones on will I have ride issues like the nivomats cause?

I swapped some nivomats off my Tahoe ( was wrecked) and grabbed the springs off my avalanche and put on with standard shocks and it rides great as the avy did, but it made it a bit high in the rear. ( after cranking the bars about 2" it still is raked as much or more than stock)

I know the air ride was removed on my suburban before I got it and had standard shocks put on, but it is also a 2500 and wont have the sag issues that the coils could have.

so swap them and not worry? or am I going to have to look in to some standard Yukon xl rear springs with out the air ride?

Askold_JB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am not sure about the base 1500/2500 are different with the rear coils or not.
But the simplest coil pick is a Moog 81069 Coil Spring Set.
Very reasonable price/quality.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2500 uses leaf springs. You can run Yukon XL springs and the shock of your choice. You will need to run resistor at the shock plug.

sam05

Reaction score
I put the 81069 springs and KYB Gas Adjust shocks on the back of my 04 XL Denali a few weeks ago. It did raise the back by 1.5 or more inches. The ride is great!

All I did to disable the air ride (instead of using resistors that the shock plugs) was to disconnect the battery, remove the ride control fuse (don't remember the exact name) and wait a few minutes before reconnecting the battery. It's like it never knew there was an air ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent