Want a fast Denali AWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I kept the VVT and have a very lopey idle. We tried to tune as much of it out as we could because my wife keeps getting asked questions she doesnt know the answer to lol. Its a Gwatney performance stage 2 VVT cam. Ill post a video if i can find it.

What are the specs of the cam?

Jjdenali

Reaction score
Their Stage 2 cam is pretty similar to the Comp 156-401-13 I used in my 08.

Sounds great, when I did the cnc'd heads I pulled out a Texas speed cam and went with the Gwatney. Converter was also done with the heads. Tremendous difference. My wife still drives it every day. It's got great street manners but runs like a scalded dog.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What converter did you use? I did a converter on my old Trailblazer SS and absolutely hated it and swore I’d never do another one. So I kept the stock converter in mine. I’ve seen chatter about a stock ZL1 converter which should fix much of my hatred for the aftermarket one since the TCC will work like stock.

Jjdenali

Reaction score
What converter did you use? I did a converter on my old Trailblazer SS and absolutely hated it and swore I’d never do another one. So I kept the stock converter in mine. I’ve seen chatter about a stock ZL1 converter which should fix much of my hatred for the aftermarket one since the TCC will work like stock.
I went pretty cheap but it's paid off so far. It's a reworked factory converter from Patc. 2600rpm

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Their Stage 2 cam is pretty similar to the Comp 156-401-13 I used in my 08.

Just saw the specs for the comp cam, that's a great cam. The Gwatney cam sounds more aggresive. Gwatney does not state the specs of their cam but sounds like a 112 lope separation and the comp is a 114 a bit more milder.

They both sound awesome. Have y'll (@91RS, @Jjdenali) made any long trips since y'all installed the cams? Any drivability issues ?

Jjdenali

Reaction score
Just saw the specs for the comp cam, that's a great cam. The Gwatney cam sounds more aggresive. Gwatney does not state the specs of their cam but sounds like a 112 lope separation and the comp is a 114 a bit more milder.

They both sound awesome. Have y'll (@91RS, @Jjdenali) made any long trips since y'all installed the cams? Any drivability issues ?
We've put 80,000 miles on ours since I freshened it up. Probably 15,000 miles since the newest cam, heads and converter. We've made 4 trips to Florida (1600 miles round trip) and Vegas twice. No issues at all. I did add a larger trans cooler just in case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts