Volt / Lighting question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would rather wire directly w/o any other items. During the day for them to be off, but when the lights turn on...they are on. These also looks interesting for a lighting option.
Best bet going to be the side marker...not sure the current capability, likely is 12V, but measure it if you can w/ a VoltMeter.

Pg 2-42 to 2-43 of the previously linked upfitter guide says that the High Beams, Low Beams, and DRL's get PWM signals, and the Park, Tail, and License Lamps get "Battery Voltage" when they are commanded on by the Lighting Control Module.
So, I would suggest finding a 12V solution, and use the Parking, Tail, or License lamps.

Now, if you add unexpected current to these circuits, not sure if you will throw a fault or not...may need to experiment w/ that a bit.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as long as it has a variable input voltage of say 9-16v you should be fine using the drl power, typically the DRL's run just under 12v, probably 10.x volts
if you have a lighted emblem to check it adapts from the headlight harness down to 2 wires one ground and one positive so it shouldn't be hard to trace the needed input back up to the harness

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would question if any of those products are going to give anything more than a really soft glow... They are designed for LCD backlight illumination, and those dont put off a lot of light.

OP
OP
Fast_AT4

Fast_AT4

RWM +1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best bet going to be the side marker...not sure the current capability, likely is 12V, but measure it if you can w/ a VoltMeter.

Pg 2-42 to 2-43 of the previously linked upfitter guide says that the High Beams, Low Beams, and DRL's get PWM signals, and the Park, Tail, and License Lamps get "Battery Voltage" when they are commanded on by the Lighting Control Module.
So, I would suggest finding a 12V solution, and use the Parking, Tail, or License lamps.

Now, if you add unexpected current to these circuits, not sure if you will throw a fault or not...may need to experiment w/ that a bit.

Sounds like 12v is the correct route here and wired to the side markers..nice and close too.

OP
OP
Fast_AT4

Fast_AT4

RWM +1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would question if any of those products are going to give anything more than a really soft glow... They are designed for LCD backlight illumination, and those dont put off a lot of light.
Here is an image from a Sierra customer that I made those badges for so he can do his project. The lighting source he used was the first I posted....EL. Looks bright enough but not too bright to light up the entire Yukon LOL.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-11 150238.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-11 150238.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 5

Electrician

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been planning the same thing with my bowtie on the front bumper. I have a Toshiba tv that the Toshiba name logo just below the screen is electroluminated the same way. Pretty cool. I have some other ideas with the EL sheets as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645