Viper 5901 Alarm frustrations...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mech5700

Reaction score
So after the who schpiel about gettin robbed, I got a Viper 5901 installed yesterday.

Now here's what get's me upset...

When the truck is unlocked from the outside with a key, the dome light comes on and the factory alarm is disabled, allowing entrance to the vehicle. The viper keyfob shows the car is still locked and protected. In a sense it is-if shock is detected or if ignition is turned, the viper alarm will trip.

Anyone see where I am going with this???

When they broke in, they popped the driver door lock cylinder in, turned it, unlocked the truck and disabled the alarm. Simulating a key being put in and unlocking the door. So even with the Viper installed, neither alarm goes off if the door is opened from the outside-putting me in the same position that I was in earlier this week...

Is there a way to change this so no matter what, when the door is opened and the dome light comes on, the Viper senses this and triggers the alarm?

OP
OP
M

mech5700

Reaction score
I was thinking so too but what is going on kinda makes sense. Why would one want an alarm to go off if the car was opened with a key? Say the key fob died and I wanted to get into my car? In that situation I can see why it is set up this way. But I want my Viper to have total control and go off if anything is done to the vehicle, opened with a key or not.

This may be a factory alarm issue too, I don't know...

Calling all alarm guru's on this one...

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
I had the same problem, if I used my key the alarm would not go off. I took it back to the installer and he hooked up the doors to the "dome light supervision". The dome lights will dim once the alarm is activated and will send a bypass to your remote with a door indicator. Once he hooks it up this way the key opening the door will trigger the alarm as well as the factory key fob.

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Your manual should mention the dome light supervision option.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definitely not installed right. I had all kinds of problems when my Viper 791 was installed. My headlights would come on automatically after sunset..this is with the truck off sitting in the driveway! The Viper is supposed to piggyback the factory alarm, but you shouldn't be able to disable the viper with just the door key and/or factory alarm remote. My system has a hidden switch to disable the alarm if the remote dies, but it takes a specific amount of inputs for this to happen. the good part is the alarm will sound while you do this so it disables the starter and draws attention. It saved my truck from being stolen as the thieves broke the ignition, but weren't able to drive away. after that, I had the system pulled and upgraded the install so the alarm is buried deeper in the dash.

Either way, my older system shouldn't have better features than the newer ones.

Did you happen to have it installed at Best Buy? my first install was a nightmare done at one of their new stores in Irving, but they have one guy that really knows his stuff in Dallas.

jESse

i like cheese
Reaction score
from what i was told when i set up my appointment to get a viper installed in a couple weeks, theres some kind of module that will go along with it for interfacing with gm vehicles to work with all that factory stuff. i only half paid attention to what he was talking about though so i can't be more specific. lol. he just said it was something i needed

OP
OP
M

mech5700

Reaction score
I saw domelight supervision on the Viper's website, but haven't found anything on it in the manual....

I had my stuff installed at Team Auto Sound in Lewisville, authorized Viper installer.

I haven't noticed any other problems really, just this is the major thing that bugs me but sounds like it can be fixed.

diffrnt

Say...What!
Reaction score
I have a Viper 5701 installed. If you open my door with the key while it's armed, the alarm goes off. I had it installed by an authorized viper installer. It does sound like something isn't hooked up right. I would take it back and have them look at it.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mech5700, the alarm isn't installed properly. Turning the driver door key cylinder should NOT disarm ANY aftermarket security system. From your description, it sounds like the installer either did not connect the door trigger wire or connected it to the wrong circuit.
The green wire from the main harness should connect as follows at the BCM:

For 99-02 models, use tan for the driver door located in pin B4 of the purple plug and blue/white in pin B11 of the lt. blue plug for the other three doors.

For 03+, the driver door trigger is gray/black at the driver door module in the door. The RF door trigger is black/white at the passenger door module in the door. The LR door trigger is light blue/black, pin A3, and the RR is green/black, pin A2, both in the purple plug at the BCM.

from what i was told when i set up my appointment to get a viper installed in a couple weeks, theres some kind of module that will go along with it for interfacing with gm vehicles to work with all that factory stuff. i only half paid attention to what he was talking about though so i can't be more specific. lol. he just said it was something i needed
99-02 need a PLII interface. 03+ models will need a door lock interface and Passlock interface. It can be done without the interface by soldering the alarm's door lock/unlock trigger wires to the DDM circuit board and using a couple relays to activate the PL system while remote starting. You might be able to save some money this way by not having to purchase the interface module, but you'll need to find a competent installer that can do this. This is how I always installed alarms in these trucks before the interface modules were available. The modules make life so much easier, but bring the total cost of adding a remote start over a little more than some people are willing to pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076