Video to USB stick info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimim

Reaction score
So I'm going to start a thread for video to USB for the rear entertainment system cause I think this is a pretty nice option for those of us with kids and not wanting to take dvd's with us.

So here is a list of what I have learned so far. It would be great if others can add their info so we can have a process for others to follow.

At this time I know MP4 files work at 640x480. I didn't like this cause i wasn't getting fill from left to right. I did a rip to 720x480 and it is wider but still not fitting the screen. I want to preserve the AR so what should I do a custom resolution of to fill the screen and maintain the AR?

I tried to rip the movie as a Divx but the tahoe said "not supported". I didn't understand this cause i registered the truck and played back the test video. I even played a few video's from the divx website that are free samples. the ones with higher resolution did not work. I have to try other resolutions of divx rips this weekend to see if I can get them working, but at this time MP4's are all that i can get to play.

Any info anyone can add would be great. I know this isn't a lot but I haven't gotten far yet. This is only my second night playing around as of now.

I do have a question though: can u play video through the other USB ports besides the rear one?

Also, as of now I have no control over the rear USB port upfront. just can view in park. is there a way to surf through menu's so u don't need to use the remote from the rear?

jim

Last edited:

sssiglover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried steaming anything like Netflix from a phone or tablet? Along with what your trying to do I'm very interested in being able to stream content from any device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jimim

Reaction score
Have you tried steaming anything like Netflix from a phone or tablet? Along with what your trying to do I'm very interested in being able to stream content from any device.

that's on my list of things to do cause of the disney movie app. we have digital copies of all our movies also along with my kids using the other disney apps for shows so i have to get there too. i have unlimited data still from the first days of the iPhone cause of when we take trips. holding onto that for dear life from ATT! lol I'll get to that real soon!

jim

sssiglover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to get a device like a Chromecast installed. Then use your phone as a Hotspot. I'd test this out with you but I'm still waiting on mine :(

GTPprix

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you get our radio unlocking programming you are able to use both inputs at the same time as well as AVI and DIVX on the front unit. You can also view the rear from the front while moving, enter nav addresses and it also adds an SMS texting application.

OP
OP
J

jimim

Reaction score
So as of now:

I was having problems with rips last night to get the try AR of a movie to fir the screen. If you rip to 856x480 you will get the full screen in use and also preserve the AR of the movie.

This is as a MP4. Only problem is you can't view in the front at this resolution for some reason. At 720x480 you can but then you don't have a rip that is full screen in the rear.

But at this point for us since it's not unlocked yet this will be fine since it's for the kids. So I'm going to start to rip away and get them on thumb drives. I might mess around with bit rates cause the movies are 2.5 gb each and I would like to get more than 10 or so on the 32 GB drives I'm using.

I think for now I'm happy and I'm ditching Divx. It's old outdated and just not as friendly as MP4.

I have been using Wondershare Ultimate for Mac btw with the Copy Right protection plugin to lift the protection to rip it.

(disclaimer: these are all DVD's that I personally own and are being used for my own private use, and no one else's.)

jim

whoseanthony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ripped a 8gb 1080p MKV to a 1.44gb 480p .m4v file using handbrake and it played fine.

One question though, if I load more than one movie on a thumb drive is there a menu to select a specific title? I am thinking that if I get a 128gb drive I could put 30 movies or so on it.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay you can essentially put anything on a usb drive moves music whatever
the devices thats actually playing the file IE the Headunit, smart tv smart phone whatever has to have the proper Codec to be able to play certain types of video files

Doug_L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hmm, I might be a little out of my depth here, but since you can convert a DVD that you've purchased, can you do the same with files purchased through iTunes? I have a bunch of kids' shows and movies that I would like to convert but can't quite figure it out.

I used handbrake to convert an iTune file to Mp4 (or maybe an M4V - I don't recall) and although I was able to see the file name on the rear screen in the Yukon, it wouldn't play (the Yukon just played the next file in the list).

So, I can get videos that I have authored (home movies essentially) onto the Yukon rear screen, but haven't figured out how to properly convert iTunes purchases (which of course would be only for my own use).

Any helpful suggestions/settings? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr