Very very dim LCD screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caveman

Reaction score
So I changed the oil this weekend and i reset the oil reminder and didnt really notice the lcd screen at the time. So as i was in traffic today it dawned on me I didnt notice it blinking when I reset it so I did it again when I got home and I could see it blinking but had to put a shadow over it to see it. What could be the cause for this dimness? All other lights and gauges work.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More than likely the backlighting in the lcd screen is going out. The solder joints that hold the bulbs in fail and get loose which results in the dim screen. You didn’t post the year make and model of your rig, but it’s an incredibly common issue in the GMT800 trucks and SUVs. They all do it at some point in time over the course of their lifespan. If you’re handy with a solder kit, you can pull the cluster out and open up the backside of it to reveal the bulbs and solder in new bulbs.

OP
OP
Caveman

Caveman

Reaction score
I appreciate the help I'll keep looking as well. I've been trying to find a replacement screen but have been unsuccessful. What ever I come across I'll share here.

OP
OP
Caveman

Caveman

Reaction score
So I was able to fix my screen with the help of this video

And fixed my fuel gauge needle with the help of this video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz