Very Rough Ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgraves817

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Tahoe LTZ ridding really Stiff. I have done some research and believe the Magneride is malfunctioning on all shocks and struts. My question is, Has anyone swapped out the Magneride for a classic coil spring suspension?
Arrnot's part # ARNC-4424 is designed just for this and comes with an electronic bypass module to ensure I don't get a service suspension light on my dashboard.
I am aware I will not have automatic load leveling. Don't tow much more that a small trailer and that is only a few times a year.
I am thinking about going this route as I really don't want to spend 5-600 per shock or strut to replace (myself)
The above kit i can get for 800 total.
please let me know thoughts on this
Thanks

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Your question has been discussed in many threads on this Forum. Summary: Some folks, myself included, believe that the active suspensions are superior to passive suspensions (I've had both on the same truck). Other folks believe that a passive suspension is preferable. You can view these threads to make your own decision.

slupie

Reaction score
2015 Tahoe LTZ ridding really Stiff. I have done some research and believe the Magneride is malfunctioning on all shocks and struts. My question is, Has anyone swapped out the Magneride for a classic coil spring suspension?
Arrnot's part # ARNC-4424 is designed just for this and comes with an electronic bypass module to ensure I don't get a service suspension light on my dashboard.
I am aware I will not have automatic load leveling. Don't tow much more that a small trailer and that is only a few times a year.
I am thinking about going this route as I really don't want to spend 5-600 per shock or strut to replace (myself)
The above kit i can get for 800 total.
please let me know thoughts on this
Thanks
Magnaride and air ride are two different systems. Magnride is magnetically controlled struts/shocks that are filled with oil that has magnetic particles and a coil that applies current to the oil to make it more or less viscous. There are sensors at all 4 corners that monitor the motion of the suspension and then the magnaride computer applies current to each coil. To bypass it you need a shocksims to complete the circuit and dissipate to current that is send to each shock. Air ride uses the rear sensors to monitor rear end loading and inflate or deflate the rear air shocks to compensate for heavier or lighter loads.

OP
OP
C

cgraves817

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses so far.
is there a possibility if I replace all 4 with "Active" replacements and I still experience rough ride due to a problem in the computer?
I read somewhere that someone replaced all 4 shocks and struts and still experienced the same ride due to a problem with the computer.

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced all 4 corners on my 16 Denali XL with passive Arnotts and very happy with the ride…much improved over the magneride…mine had also gotten so bad they had basically locked up.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses so far.
is there a possibility if I replace all 4 with "Active" replacements and I still experience rough ride due to a problem in the computer?
I read somewhere that someone replaced all 4 shocks and struts and still experienced the same ride due to a problem with the computer.
If you have a bi-directional scanner, you can test the functioning of the Magneride suspension (i.e. the function on the computer), prior to making a purchase. It is fairly unlikely that the issue is with the computer, though.

OP
OP
C

cgraves817

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, I went with the Arnott Package on this project.
the struts shipped to me are longer that the ones I took out. I do not think I will be able to get the A-Arm down enough to install these new ones? has anyone had this experience?

Attachments

• 20240210_130045.jpg
    20240210_130045.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240210_130017.jpg
    20240210_130017.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 5

15burban

Reaction score
Did you try installing it? It could be that the spring on the new one compresses easier ( longer but yet softer spring) but once on with the weight of the vehicle on it, it would still give you the same ride height. Not saying that's what it is that would be my guess if they're the correct ones for your ride.

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I went with the Arnott Package on this project.
the struts shipped to me are longer that the ones I took out. I do not think I will be able to get the A-Arm down enough to install these new ones? has anyone had this experience?

Make sure you take the sway bar end links off….this allows the lower A arms to drop as much as possible. However, I did still need someone to stand on a long piece of pipe wedged in to get my driver side lower A arm down just enough to get the strut in place.

ss4chad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had mine changed today under warranty, rides like it is supposed to now. Gonna replace the back shocks in a couple of weeks, sadly they are NOT under warranty. I will be using "Mr. Goodwrench, the Home Edition" to replace those!
The fronts were replaced with Arnott SK4261 on both sides.

Chad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar