Very Disappointed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Greetings all,

Four months ago, I purchased a new '16 Yukon XL SLT. Initially, I loved it. But I've noticed the following issues creep up that make me question my purchase (and overall quality control at GM.)

- Wax like coating on frame peeling off, with rust in some places. (I keep it in the garage and it hasn't seen salt yet!)

- Driver's seat leather is worn already (I'm 170lbs, and make sure not to "slide" out. I use the grab handle to pull myself up, and step out on the running board.)

- The stitching on the side of the backrests isn't straight. You would think for a $70,000 vehicle this wouldn't be an issue. (Although I admit, I should have looked closer when I took delivery.)

- Clunking from the transmission/driveline when shifting (almost seems like the tolerances aren't tight enough in the rear axle.)

- Vibration and fluttering noise from 35-45 MPH.

I had it at the dealer yesterday and was told that all of this is "normal." They also said the stitching can vary from vehicle to vehicle due to the fact that its "hand sewn." Not sure if that's true or they're just feeding me a line of BS. Anyone else have these problems? I'm really starting to regret my purchase, and I question the long term reliability.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Man use the hell of that warranty. I'm glad I stuck with my 08. Although I have my fair share with problems

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about these issues.
  • Regarding the frame condition, perhaps it's just normal surface corrosion?
  • Seat leather becoming worn so quickly is definitely a quality issue; whether or not it's a one-off issue for that particular seat or typical of all the seat leather is the question. I'd be pissed.
  • I would be quite surprised if in fact the seams are hand-stitched; does not seem feasible from a production-cost and quality-control perspective.
  • Trans clunk and vibration/fluttering are definitely annoying; don't know if these are typical, so maybe others with that model year can chime-in.
Good luck.

Weber Dude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 16 XL SLT and the my driver seat isn't worn out yet. I only have 5500 miles on it too so that might change the more I drive it. I do use leather conditioner on my entire interior almost weekly. Maybe that's helping with wear. As for the fluttering, that the rediculous V4 mode. You can hear and feel it alot at low speed low rpm. I think the problem is is that it's in to high of gear when in V4 mode and that speed and not under any load. Put it in M5 and it wont go into V4 mode...no more fluttering or vibration. A good tuner can deactivate V4.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've read from other members here, the clunking you're feeling is definitely coming from the active fuel management system. I agree that on a brand new 70k truck it shouldnt have those issues. Like @Weber Dude said, you can get a performance tuner that can deactivate the fuel management which should eliminate that clunking. As for the condition of your leather, if it's not properly maintained,(cleaned and conditioned properly ona regular basis) it will wear out just like any leather. Without proper maintenance it will dry out and crack. I run my own business as a professional detailer. I use chemical guys leather cleaner and their leather conditioner as well. I detail my leather every two to three weeks as I'm in and out of my 2006 multiple times a day. Replaced the lower seat cushion in my drivers seat a year ago with a new GM replacement leather cushion and I haven't had any issues with it showing any signs of wear after keeping it clean and conditioned.

Last edited:

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whenever I have these problems like all the radio buttons stopped working and water in the headlight of my brand new Denali - I just say, well that's typical GM.

Hopefully it's still under warranty and you can get some of those issues resolved.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe try a different dealer. I know it's inconvenient but this dealer sounds like crap. Your headrest isn't hand sewn lmao I doubt the one in the Esky even is..

The wear on the leather, you have to kiss ass and they might side with you. I had this issue on my 2012 suburban. I'm 150lbs and do the same, try to enter/exit gently. They took a pic of my seat and submitted it to GM.. GM approved my warranty request and the seat cover was replaced on my LTZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Whenever I have these problems like all the radio buttons stopped working and water in the headlight of my brand new Denali - I just say, well that's typical GM.

Guess you havent had any other vehicle make - because nearly all components come from the same group of companies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove