Vehicle pulls left or right when braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, take your hands off the steering wheel next time Matt! hehehehe

Like a 4x4 launch at the drag strip or a crash stop, I've seen the tie rods give way and cause the wheels to wobble. Bad ball joints too but to a lesser extent. I would still start with the calipers and brake hoses and then test the tie rods. Then the master cylinder.

https://www.powernationtv.com/post/truck-techs-supermax-could-be-your-next-truck

Ive spent the last 5 years scratching my head on this one. Enough to make me feel more seasoned than what I am. I'm ready to be grilled.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ive spent the last 5 years scratching my head on this one. Enough to make me feel more seasoned than what I am. I'm ready to be grilled.

You just said something very key to the problem. The accident was 5 years ago and that info came out part way thru all this questioning and now you say the problem has been there 5 year. That would have narrowed down these questions and answers considerably. The problem has to be related to an incomplete or unsafe repair that was done after the accident. Matt you will get used to this but when you have a problem all INFO needs to be chronological and what was done before the problems were noticed and then chronologically what was done to try and fix. It helps us guys, especially old people like me at 67 years old. Think of it as what your doctor does when you tell him/her you have a problem. He/she starts a history of that problem with questions leading you to the point where you are in front of him/her.

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With that wreck throwing a wrench in it all...hmmm Id first check those ball joints and tie rods, idler and pitman arm for excessive play. Then id see what kind of play the gearbox has and see if you cant lash it out.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, that wreck caused something you been living with that may or may not be unsafe at this time. Guesswork should stop and let a pro check it. If you want a suggestion find a well known and recommended frame shop to check all that geometry out. You could have a frame out of whack that wears suspension and steering parts out prematurely.

shegarty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you are waiting on the obvious assessments re: frame damage check over the flexible brake lines. I have seen rotten old flex lines create this kind of braking issue. As pressure builds up in the line it balloons causing a relative pressure drop which can lead to the symptoms you are describing.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sorry, but the OP said randomly and did not state that it only happened the first 2-3 stops. Even that info can make a diagnostic difference.

I ran shops and I asked a lot of questions when a customer came in with a vehicle problem. I used to joke with the customer, after they asked why I asked so many questions, that I wanted to know if their problem only happened on the 3rd Sunday of each month, was raining at the time and they turned left over railroad tracks at 5:30 pm and the radio was on......I wanted to know ALL that. I also wanted to know any sequential order of these concerns and any repair attempts.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Something as silly as an automatic sprinkler in the yard that hits one side of the truck parked one way and one side if parked the other way could mean different surface rust on one side or the other and uneven braking for the first 2 or 3 stops... Gotta rule out everything.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think there are any coincidences.Let me double check the brake action before leading into costly repair shops. I don't think it's that serious of an issue. The pull when braking is not that severe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan