VCIM for Bluetooth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UpAndDown

Reaction score
I’ve been searching possibilities to add Bluetooth to my 08 Tahoe LT with Bose and no Nav. I came across a few threads about using a VCIM from a newer trick to get Bluetooth for the phone. Does this still work? I read that there are a few different makers of these VCIM modules and some said the LG version was most desirable, but I’m not sure why. I also read that some use 1, 2 or 3 antennas, again I don’t know why. I’d like to get the best module for my application. Does doing this mod require a trip to the dealer for any flashing or programming? Also, will any of these allow music streaming from an iPhone through Bluetooth? It would be nice but not a deal breaker. I also read that some allow using the OnStar app for features like remote start. Am I correct in my assumption that this is only if you pay for a subscription based service? Any and all info is welcome and appreciated. Thank you in advance.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The 2011 VCIM has the voice control and integrates like the factory unit to add access to the OnStar cell app for location, remote start, cell BT and upload of destinations into the head unit or DIC.

No one has ever chimed in to verify if it uploads destinations into the DIC on non Navi equipped vehicles like an OnStar advisor would do. It does not provide BT music protocol. A Bose 5V BT module will do that seamlessly and work with the VCIM to mute on incoming calls.

What year is your truck?

OP
OP
U

UpAndDown

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. My truck is an 08 with Bose. What is the module you mentioned? Will it allow me to steam mushroom as well? Also, I’d this VCIM located below the radio stack and what’s the easiest way to access it fit replacement? Thanks again

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Remove trim and radio to access VCIM that's below it. Unplug it from the harness or it's too much of a PITA to access the VCIM without dinging up your hands and potentially scratching up the console. Set the radio aside. Every harness connection is specific and you can not clip the incorrect one into an incorrect location.

Here's a better look at what you'll be getting into.

If you wondered what is available to add a factory Nav with hard drive and solid state based Navi processor, go here ...

If you do nothing after it's installed you'll have factory BT for the cell that displays in the center console w/ voice control. If you call OnStar and activate it, you'll get a free trial for at least a month, a free mobile # for your vehicle, control of locks and remote start (if equipped) via your phone and Navi that displays directions in the center console. It may allow you to load directions through the App to the truck w/o calling OnStar each time. If you have steering wheel controls for the radio you can call, answer and hang up with the existing buttons on the wheel.

If you need a known working VCIM and BT antenna I sourced and later swap'd from a 2012 LG unit leftover from my 1st swap. It's from a Silverado. $40 shipped and it's yours. There's no solution that cost less to add factory integrated BT. All you'll need is a Y adapter that the BT antenna that clips here ...

You can cancel the free trial and keep the BT functionality without an active OnStar subscription. I didn't keep this module because it's from a purple Silverado truck. I found a VCIM from another White Escalade ESV like ours since we keep the OnStar subscription active. If stolen, crashed or we need service, OnStar shouldn't be looking for me as a purple truck.

Our 09 Esky already had BT but I wanted the updated features to upload Navi directions from the cell, remote start and unlock from the phone app. The voice recog is better on the later 2012 VCIM too.

OP
OP
U

UpAndDown

Reaction score
Thanks again for the reply and the info. Wish I had run into you a little while ago. I just bought a Continental VCIM from a 2010 as I was told that the newer ones needed adapters so they weren’t a straight swap. I paid a little more than you’re asking too. I am definitely going to check out the links you provided. Again thank you for the information. I love the idea of the OnStar app for remote start as the range of the factory system is pretty dismal, but can’t justify spending the relatively high monthly fees for that convenience. Like I said in another thread, OnStar should sell a monthly sub that offers only the app at a decent price. I think they would get a lot of subs. Too bad to hear that the VCIM units newer than the one I bought have better qualities. I’ll try mine out and if I like it, possibly upgrade again. Thanks again

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I missed it this year but Costco sells OnStar subscriptions for about half the going rate. I had not installed the 2011 VCIM yet so I couldn’t activate their plans.

OnStar only offered the deep discounts throughout Costco on 2011> modules.

sodbuster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very Interested! We just bought an 07 Yukon XL Denali with Nav/OnStar/XM and I'd really like to add Bluetooth. It would be really nice to have the Bluetooth functionality for music as well, but that would be much lower priority to syncing the phone and retaining all the OEM steering wheel control, GPS antenna and all the rest of the stock GM functions.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very Interested! We just bought an 07 Yukon XL Denali with Nav/OnStar/XM and I'd really like to add Bluetooth. It would be really nice to have the Bluetooth functionality for music as well, but that would be much lower priority to syncing the phone and retaining all the OEM steering wheel control, GPS antenna and all the rest of the stock GM functions.
Check out Crutchfields.com. Tell them what vehicle you have and a list of available options will appear for your consideration.

sodbuster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you talking about bluetooth radios or bluetooth accessories that will work with OEM recievers? I'm only interested in adding bluetooth functionality to my OEM radio. I picked up a vcim at kosisky and am waiting on the Y cable I guess will see. UpandDown mentioned a 5V bose module for streaming music, are you talking about the vcim, or is there another part I need? thanks much

Attachments

• B68D6303-29E3-416E-871F-3D2138F0B7B3.jpeg
    B68D6303-29E3-416E-871F-3D2138F0B7B3.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN